1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring a 12v accessory into map light, 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bfeinzimer, Apr 29, 2016.

1. bfeinzimer

bfeinzimer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey folks-

Can you help me ID which red white to tap into and which ground (blk or blk/wht striped) for the map light assembly? I've got a 2004 wiring diagram but I'm not having an easy time reading it. If requested I can post a photo of the diagram.

Attached Files:

2. MickyMatter

MickyMatter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello!
    I would recommend you to look for the connector J33, which you can see in your wiring diagram. You should find it near the map light too. Maybe this location map helps you:
    uploadfromtaptalk1461963558999.png
    The connector has to be shaped like shown in the following picture. There is one row with A pins and one row with B pins.
    uploadfromtaptalk1461963570959.png
    You can see in your wiring diagram, that all A and all B have the same color code (B=Red and A=White-Black)

If you want to use the connector from your photo, I can't tell anything about, because I don't know the ID or location of this connector. You could try to use a voltmeter for detecting a voltage about 12...13V.

And keep in mind not to use too powerful accessories. They could cause the fuse to melt. There should be a 15A fuse which allows a power consumption of 12V * 15A = 180 W including all lamps a.s.o. in this circuit.

SM-G900F ?

#2 MickyMatter, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. bfeinzimer

bfeinzimer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the quick reply, and especially on mobile. The connector is at point G3, not J33 (which there is only one wire lead at ASFAIK (even though the diagram shows 2). The connector 6 pins wide by 2 pins tall.

I'd use a voltmeter but the pin holes are too small for the probe to fit inside of.

I wasn't clear in my first post but I'm just tapping in to power a GoPro as a dash cam, shouldn't draw too many watts right?

4. MickyMatter

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So it's not G3. It should be black, with ten pins and the following colors:
    uploadfromtaptalk1462438783165.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1462438793519.png

I think it's O3. Give me some minutes...

SM-G900F ?

5. MickyMatter

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    O3 was at your first post. Sorry, I didn't recognised it.
    There is ground (-) at the white-black wire at pin 4 and +12V at the red wire at pin 1. The black wire at pin 3 is only +, when a door is open. You see the colors and the numbers of the pins in your diagram, the pins in the collector below.

The red wire should be always "on", so keep an eye at your battery, if the can is attached and your car won't be moved for a longer time.

Depending on your adapter, there won't be more than 1.5 A, shouldn't be a problem for the fuse.
    uploadfromtaptalk1462439492169.png

SM-G900F ?

6. bfeinzimer

bfeinzimer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks so much for your detailed replies. For future reference for others, here are photos of the connectors.
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg