1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiring harness problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by srjacob, Jan 17, 2014.

1. srjacob

srjacob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius (96000 miles) with what seems to be a wiring harness problem. I have replaced the ABS computer twice (one used, one new). The symptoms are the red ABS, Anti-Skid, Brake, and orange ! all come on, and the braking gets really strange (no regen, stops only when you bottom the pedal, etc.). It's been doing this for over a year. Only Toyota can clear the codes, my scanner can't see them. Last time the lights came on, the codes showed a wiring harness problem. Had a friend in MA do some inquiry for me (apparently in MA, the car mfgers have to give the service data and equipment to independent repair shops), and he found that there is a problem of corrosion in the contacts of the wiring harness near the ABS computer when you live in a salt air environment (I live in Miami).

Does anyone know of this problem, and does Toyota know of this problem? Does anyone know what to do about it?

The local dealer wants to sell me a new harness, but says that with the HV battery warrantied for only 100K miles, I should be looking at getting rid of the car (they would like to sell me a new one). I am at the mercy of the dealers down here because no one else knows how to work on these cars.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Steve

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall ever reading about that problem and we have plenty of people living in salt prone area's. how much do they want for a wiring harness?

3. Lee Bridges

Lee Bridges Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Might I suggest this get moved or re-posted - I know I don't typically look in all the various sub-forums, and someone who might have an answer may never see it since this is in the v model section.

That said, a look here might lead one toward a answer: Chronic Prius VSC and Park Error Messages | PriusChat

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lee if you 'report' the post, the moderators will get it moved. No one reads every post.

Then later, folks won't be confused by "move this to Gen 2" when it is in Gen 2.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You might try to take the connectors apart and clean the contacts.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, then apply dielectric grease when reassembling.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, WD40, Boeshield T-9 and even rustproofing are good at protecting the electrical connectors, brake lines and fittings.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, report the post to us lee and we will move it. Users simply saying wrong forum without telling us makes people often repost it again and makes more work for us, or leaves the original thread in the wrong forum anyway because we r not made aware. Thank you.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I haven't heard of this issue before.
    2. You can obtain factory repair manual and electrical wiring diagram info at techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website.
    3. Toyota Techstream is the official laptop solution used by Toyota dealer repair shops. You (and independent repair shops for that matter) can license Techstream Lite from Toyota for $1,345. "Mini VCI" is a pirated solution readily available on eBay although some members have reported viruses associated with that - so buyer beware.
    4. I suggest you should try cleaning the contacts with electrical contact cleaner.
    5. If you obtain the DTC and post, perhaps other solutions may come to mind.

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The "replace wiring harness" recommendation is what dealerships say when they don't know where a problem is, much less how to fix it, and they don't want to have someone waste time probing around looking for some fault. We see reports of rodent damaged wires that can be simply spliced back again, but it is locating those wires which is the adventure. Replacing the whole harness for a single point problem is at least a step by step procedure that a tech can do, and bill the customer a known amount, even if it is an absurdly high amount.

Knowing what the DTC are would at least narrow the search. If you can get to West Melbourne, Mellor's Automotive could do the work.