1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wondering on how many 8KWh 2010 Prius??

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by banshee08, Sep 13, 2010.

1. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all,

My Enginer 8KWh system has been running for about 2 months now, after a long period without since I was out of the country for a while. I pulled the system out to prevent the system from sitting in the car without moving for the two month period I was gone and to let my family use my car once in a while. I have about 150 cycles on the batteries now since I owned the system in November 2009. After some problems with balance, I have been on the bottom balance practice for about 9 months now without having to rebalance the system. I am averaging about 80mpg with one converter and about 100mpg with 2 converters. Unfortunately the summer heat has killed one of my converters and I am waiting for the next batch of new 5000W converters to trade up to using just one converter in my car. The 2010 prius seems to be able to handle some 24 amps no problems.

I am just wondering how many others have installed an 8KWh system in there 2010 Prius?? Also any suggestion about upgrade springs for the rear??

Thanks,

Chan

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Chan,
    I am running 4kwhr with a single 3k converter but I read all the posts and collect lots of data.

You have old cells that do not have overcharge protection. My experience is that they do not work optimally with the new BMS16C. I suggest staying with no balancers. The problem with this is that you will not have the balancer shut off that goes to the new converter. This is OK just don't use the white wire two pin connector. You do need to have the alarms on your CellLogs alert you if you ever get a low cell because the new converter may not shut down. Also the new converter has what looks like a computer cable hanging off of it. Just do not use that cable either.

The new converter should give you 18a but I have not heard of anyone running it consistently above 14a. Also the new converter has thermal safeties in it so this will throttle the current back when it gets hot. My guess from what I have seen,.. The 5k converter is better than the 3k converter but not as good as two 3k converters.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dan,

Thanks for the tip. Nice to know that the no balancer approach is still valid. I will consider that whne I get the 5000W converter. The main reason I wan to move to the 5000W converter is mostly due to the heat and space issue of using two 3000W converters. It seems like so much energy is wasted thru heat with using two 3000W converters. The gain of maybe 6 -8 amps may not be worth it. I rather a 18A converter that does so with less energy wasted as heat...

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would be really interested to see some photographs of how your 8Kwh pack fits into your Prius.

I would also be interested to see a picture of your prius from the outside with all of those batteries in the rear. Does it sit funny?

5. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have attached a picture of the tire well when I was mocking up how to strap the batteries down. I have not changed the configuration of the cells currently just the strap and mounts.

Also attached a side view of the car with all 8KWh of batteries. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

6. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay.. So yeah, kind of like I thought, they don't sit in there very gracefully, and the car's rear is noticeably low. I had also considered a larger pack, but until they come out with a mounting kit that fits the spare-tire area properly, and can include new springs, etc.. I think I'll pass.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would never have guessed. Driving dynamics might be a different story.

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The forthcoming 6 kWh kit with the new Real Force batteries has been promised to fit in the existing enclosure. This could be an option.

As far as springs, I'm looking into that. I put coil spacers in mine because hauling around 300 lbs of kids in the back has us bottoming out on speed bumps otherwise. Custom rear springs would be a far better solution. At least on Gen II, installing new rear springs involves taking apart the same floorboards and trim inside the car as installing an Enginer kit, so it would make sense to do it all at the same time.

9. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    yeah - I saw that over in the enginer forums. But I would imagine the weight would still be a problem.

10. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    seilerts,

Where did you get the coil spacers and if you could can you shot me a picture of the spacers installed??

Thanks,

Chan

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. I just used plain old donut rubber coil spacers, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B00029K20W?tag=priuschatcom-20 I did have to cut a couple of inches off to reduce the circumference. I don't like suspension hacks and don't recommend this as a long term solution.

Since you have a 2010, have you thought about Firestone airbag spring helpers? (too bad these won't work for Gen II)

Toyota Prius 2010 Firestone Air Bags - Suspension Air Bag Helper Springs

1 person likes this.
  12. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much. I order the firestone spring helpers to give it a shot. for $80. It is not bad at all. Will let everyone know how this goes.

13. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    seilerts,

Much appreciate the tip for the Firestone Coil Helpers. I had them installed in my 2010 Prius and now the car is back to about -0.25 inches of stock ride height with the 8kWh of batteries in the trunk. I hope springs will be an option soon for us but this will do for now and for about $90 parts and $25 labor I am more than satisfied. I have attached some images of the air bladders installed and a before and after picture. I only have about 25psi in the bladders right now and am comfortable there as the recommended max is 30psi. Now my suspension does not bottom out over speed bumps and my headlights don't blind on coming drivers anymore.

Thanks,

Chan

Attached Files:

14. scottsim

scottsim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  15. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scottsim,

Love the bumper stickers.

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please tell us about your springs? Off the shelf or custom? Who and how much? The airbag solution only works for 2010+ but there's a LOT of people that want stiffer springs for 2004-2009 for a wide variety of reasons. Thanks!

17. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are spring upgrades for the 2nd gen Prius. I know 3prong and maybe Lusious Garage may carry them. Do a search in the forums, I have seen a thread and link to where to purchase. The springs I am look for will probably be made custom. I have a few friends with connections due to them needing springs for there EV conversion. Will keep everyone updated when I get them but I can tell everyone now it will be at least $600 for the rear springs alone. Only problem is I have to send in a pair of stock springs for the engineers to analyze.

18. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That looks nice.. I was stumped at how they actually work because in the picture the airbags don't even meet up at the top of the spring. But after several minutes I realized the car was up on a lift and that is probably why.

So how is the 8Kwh system working for you? Do you have a 3,000 or 5,000 watt converter? Any issues with it overheating after running it for miles and miles with that huge battery pack?

19. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup the car was up on a lift when I took the pictures of the air bladders. I have been using the 8kWh kit for quite a while now. Before the heat killed my second converter I was getting really good mileage, around 95 ~ 100mpg daily. Now I am stuck at 87mpg with only one 3000W converter. I just received my 5000W converter from Jack and will install that soon but right now my charger has a blown fuse so until I replace the fuse I have no PHEV.

I do have heat issues with my converters. If it is a really hot day like around 95F+ here in Los Angeles, the converters will come in and out as it overheats and cools down. I am hoping the 5000W converter will be more stable.

20. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Will you be running that 5000W along with another 3000W, or just by itself?

Do you have any kind of ventilation going to the kit? I live in Fort Worth, TX so I have similar (if not worse) heat here in the Summer. So when I get my kit I am going to see how I might be able to reroute some of the airflow through the enginer kit.