1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Worse consumption when driving long distances

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by miso03, Aug 10, 2014.

1. miso03

miso03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

does anybody know why I get worse MPG when I drive for a long time (without taking long breaks)? I will try to explain. Yesterday I was driving my 3rd gen 2009 Prius for 700 miles in ECOmode as Im driving it everytime. After about 200 miles I noticed that sometimes my current consumption was 29MPG and I was driving down the hill at speed 60mph! The car was then very lazy to accelerate and I had to press the pedal almost to the floor to get back to 70mph. I was very shocked with this behavior but then suddenly it came back to normal state and I was getting 55MPG at 77mph. But this was repeating over and over again. Like 3 minutes from 10minutes of driving I was getting the worse consumption and worse respone to throttle pedal. Did the electric motor overheat? Or was it due to ECO mode? Finally I got 54.7MPG (measured by tanking to full) with average speed of 58mph. This was due to very long downhills (from Austria to Italy). I think that when I will go back to Austria the consumption with be much much worse when this behavior will retain. This was also my first drive that was longer than 200 miles, thats why I didnt notice it previously (probably)..

Thank you in advance for your answers.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So many factors could affect it. There is a sticky on here that asks you to complete details of your car that could explain the lower mpg, otherwise it's all speculation.

I drove a 400 mile round trip at about 85 mph including a couple hours in central London and still got mid 50's to the UK gallon (45 US).

To get 29 mpg you must have been either hammering it or driving up hills. But without the completed details in the sticky, it's speculation.

Welcome to the forum.

dorunron likes this.
  3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you SURE you were going downhill?

The angle of the road can be deceiving, and you might have been going up a very gradual uphill grade, but the surroundings made it look otherwise.

Without a GPS telling you your current elevation as you travel, you can't be certain which was the case.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have a strange road like that near me. It really is weird to drive along.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! how long have you owned her? how many miles on her? what was the battery meter doing during all this? what kind of elevation changes are we talking about? sounds like some serious mountains.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to Prius Chat! I too second what bisco said above. You also need to provide more information about the topography of the roads you were driving on. FWIW, 2009 is a Second Generation Prius. Is it possible you meant 2010 and typed 2009? There is a difference since 2009 was the last year of the Second Gen Prius and 2010 began the Third Gen Prius.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think in slovakia, gen III might have begun in '09.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In most places in the World they use the year the car was sold and registered as the model year rather than the following year which seems popular in the US. My car was sold and registered in Nov 2009 and is a 2009 gen3 Prius. It is quite often confusing to those who do not reside in the US to have a 2009 registered car refered to as a 2010 and a 2010 as a 2010 unless it was sold later in 2010 at which point it's a 2011. :confused:

9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, thanks guys. I stand corrected!

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome, Miso.

I don't know how flat Austria is--Austrian Alps come to mind.

Instantaneous fuel economy wildly fluctuates. Ignore it. I see single digits just after buying gas pulling out onto the highway.

To paraphrase Obi Wan, your senses deceive you. Don't trust them. I've been on mountains where the GPS shows increasing elevation when I perceive I'm going downhill.

Those short breaks also take a hit. At rest stops I'll turn off the climate control & lights and lock the car preventing start up cycles.

I'd be thrilled to get 54.7mpg (US) on a 700 mile trip.

Robert Holt and dorunron like this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to PriusChat!

I concur with the GPS suggestion and would add you might want to consider getting a Prius-aware scanner. I'm using a ScanGauge II for normal driving but there are alternatives. They provide engine and temperature metrics and a Prius-aware unit can read out stuff like traction battery voltages and Prius unique metrics.

Are those Imperial gallons? I'm used to seeing folks outside of the USA and UK using liters and was wondering.

Any history on the car?

Bob Wilson

12. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Forgive me for being naïve, but I'm new to Prius ownership. Are you saying you leave the car ON, but turn off the A/C, radio and lights, and lock it while use the restroom, etc., at a rest stop? How exactly does that save gas? And what else does it save?

13. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At highway speed, the engine is constantly charging the battery. Like many have said, you're probably going up hill when the terrain looked down hill. Also you can tell if you're going up hill or down hill just by the pressure in your ear.
    There's no start up cycle once the car is warmed up. If you restart your car at 185f, it'll drive like you never stopped. Also, if you don't shut down, you risk draining the HV battery which will cost you MPG for several miles to try to charge it back up when you drive.

14. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That was my thinking, but being new to Prius technology, I'm never sure. I see so many opinions on how to operate a Prius and much of it defies traditional practices, and sometimes logic. :)

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might want to consider getting a Prius aware, OBD scanner. Then you can easily test some of these claims which some in three flavors:
    1. Consensus it works
    2. Difference of opinion but either way works
    3. Uh Oh, someone without a clue
    Bob Wilson

16. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I have very limited experience driving the 3rd generation Prius, but if the car had just recently been draining the battery when driving uphill or accelerating then it may have been generating electricity to refill the battery even though you were going downhill. It's also possible that there are some driving conditions where the hybrid computer knows it is more efficient to run the engine at a certain RPM or torque load and generate excess power into the battery rather than having the engine match the present road conditions and run less efficiently overall.

My Chevy Volt does this routinely at speeds under 63 mph on flat roads. I believe the Prius does not do that routinely but it might still do it under some less common conditions.

17. miso03

miso03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello guys,

at first, thank you very much for your answers. I'm sorry that I'm posting this post lately, but I've just returned from the 2700km (1677 miles) trip. The final consumption after returning home was 4.3l/100km (54.7 MPG) on the dashboard and 4.6l/100km (51.1 MPG) measured by tanking to full with average speed of 76km/h (47.2 mph). I was travelling with my girlfriend and everytime I was asking her if this or this is downhill or uphill. We agreed in mostly cases, so I think that my senses aren't lying me :) When I was driving home the problem repeated. I've switched all the three possible modes (ECO, PWR and none) and it was happening in all of them. Once a time the car was very likely to accelerate even to small uphill and once it was so so lazy in going downhill (proved that it was really downhill by my gf). When it was lazy to acc I tried to put my feet off the pedal and the car was decelerating like in the B position (yes, I'm sure it was in D). Then if I wanted to gain speed the consumption was at the max and the car was just revving without power (in all the three modes) and gaining speed very very slowly. I've driven thousands and thousands of kilometers in large variety of cars for many years, so trust me, that I know when the car is in pain when accelerating. But then like after magic stick wave my Prius got the power and I was feeling like having turbo charged engine. Yes, it was accelerating to 87 mph just by pressing the pedal by 0.4 inch. I will probably go to my dealer but I don't know how to show them this state, because as I've written in my first post, it is happening only after travelling 200 miles..

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, if the CC is left on the battery most likely will be discharged. Outside temp, state of charge, coolant temp, and length of stop all have an effect.

My threshold for the stop is 5 minutes. I'll have some opportunities this week to see how long it takes for the coolant to drop below 185F.

19. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I do have an ODB scanner and used it recently to alter the backup beep. :) I once had to pay to have a false code reset and bought a scanner right afterward. Granted, the payment was for the diagnostic, but it's come in handy to verify other codes were not false and to let me continue on my route knowing the code was for something that could wait until I got home to get fixed. They are inexpensive and easy enough to use. The internet provides most of the information to know what's really going on and then get it fixed without getting taken by a repair shop. Still learning what I need to monitor regularly on the Prius. :)

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent!
    Do you have a way to use the OBD to monitor while driving:
    • engine rpm
    • EGR %
    My testing indicates the 1.8L engine is most efficient up to ~3,200 rpm. Higher rpm is not bad but 3,200 rpm works best as an upper target. That is when I see the EGR % hit a maximum.

Does your OBD have the ability to record data? Can to replicate the problem and record some data?

One of our members, "Frank"(?) from Spain has done some excellent studies using a recording OBD. Sorry, I don't have a handy link but perhaps someone else might have a link to share to Frank's methodology.

Bob Wilson