1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you consider the Scion iQ an alternative to the Prius C, ?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by mareakin, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet the smart we get has the 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engine. (no diesels or mhd).

Ahh. Yes he was being selfish. On the other hand, I had someone box me in as they tried to squeeze into the spot that wasn't there (I was on the street with a parking bay and I parked near the No Parking sign that denotes the end of the parking bay, yet someone parked behind and it took a while to get out! Grr)

I don't think they're that stringent here (though I was within the yellow lines). If you're a few cm over, they won't mind. Also, you can see how big the spot was. That's a Civic coupé in the front)

I drove my smart across the country, granted the smart's seating position is better as you sit higher up, similar to a minivan.

2. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Slightly OT - Scion IQ or Toyota IQ?

I've seen two IQs in the wild here.

One was white - maybe kinda of a moonglow and the other was gray.

I saw the first one at night in Safeway Manoa parking lot - thought it had a Toyota emblem but when I went online I saw "Scion" badged IQs so passed it off as bad eyesight on my part.

Just saw another IQ yesterday, dark gray, and it definitely had the Toyota emblem on it.

So - do the IQs come in two flavors or are different badged IQs coming into the US?

3. TytaniumK

TytaniumK New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to hijack this thread, but since you brought up the Honda Hybrid CR-Z (6-speed manual tranny), I loved how it drove & I love the looks over & above the Prius C, however, that said, a high of 37 mpg isn't 53 mpg--ergo, I'm on this website as opposed to a Honda Hybrid Website. Anyone else here drive the 6-spd manual CR-Z? It's a total blast to drive IMHO.:rockon::rockon:

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Slightly OT - Scion IQ or Toyota IQ?

I don't believe so and I also understand that they've not fully completed testing yet. Perhaps they're testing them in Hawaii as it's much nearer to Japan? Did the cars have dealer, manufacturer or special licence plates?

5. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Slightly OT - Scion IQ or Toyota IQ?

Toyota badged IQs: One had regular plates. The other had temporary paper plates.

The local Scion dealers show the IQs on their website - none shown on the Hawaii Servco Toyota website.
    To see the IQ in the website below may have to enter zipcode 96819 and/or proceed by selecting Automatic Transmission:
    http://build.scionhawaii.com/?year=2012&make=Scion&model=iQ

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you think it's as simple as Toyota shipping them with Toyota badges and then the dealer pulling these off and replacing with Scion US market badges?

I know on some UK Vauxhalls that if you prize the Vauxhall badge under it is the Opel badge :)

7. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Occam's razor!

Your theory makes sense. When I bought a Fit for my wife in 2007 - I saw another "Fit" driving around that had the "Jazz" badge on it - a U.S., left-hand drive "Jazz". Wanted one but it was the only one I ever saw with "Jazz" on it in Hawaii.

8. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If parking is a real issue for you then the iQ seems like it might be a great option. I know that many garages in NYC offer 1/2 price parking for the Smart because it takes up half the space of a regular car - if you pay to park often you might want to see if this applies to the iQ as well. If you park on street it would be great - I do not drive in the city all that much, but when I do I often pass a spot that a Smart or iQ could fit in.

Only you know how much of a benefit the iQ would afford you, but just remember that the $4k difference in price will help offset a whole lot of gas.

9. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car might have been imported from a country where it is called the Jazz - that sort of thing is pretty common for military or government workers - just a thought.

This reminds me of the Hyundai Genesis sedan - a great looking car that the ugly H badge really detracts from. At least around here it is very common to see them with the Korean badging - Genesis in an oval with wings on both sides - it is amazing how just 2 badges really add to the car.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, Scion iQ is like Smart ForTwo or Fiat 500 ... think Mr. Bean :)

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know it's almost impossible to import a car into the USA from another Country if it doesn't comply to US type approval. Are the rules the same in Hawaii? Or because of its location are the rules more open?

I've had a look on a website that seems to indicate that Hawaii doesn't have emission standards at all!?! because the volcano causes more pollution than any cars could. Couldn't believe this so have included the link;

Hawaii Smog Checks - Emissions Regulations, HI Smog Testing Stations at DMV.org: The Unofficial DMV Guide

If that's the case, are you able to import any old (or new) left hand drive vehicle and use it in Hawaii? If you can, it opens you upto a whole new market of vehicles unobtainable in mainland USA.

12. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Hawaii law requires a yearly safety check - to see that the brakes, wipers, horn and lights and safety equipment work. Also that the wind shield, tires, muffler and exhaust system are in good condition.

We do have to comply with whatever Federal standards exist as we are part of the United States. Many states do not have emission checks for vehicles - California being an exception. Some states have no safety, VIN or emission inspections at all - I'm a little surprised by this. Vehicle inspection in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Voggy days are not all that common - but when the trade winds die down - it does get rather bad. :(

13. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I did that with some guy too... except. He didn't take it kindly. He put a note under my windscreen viper of my iQ going something along the lines of:

There was at least 3 millimetres between the cars... and 6 ft. of space in front of his own...

14. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    hell no! that geeky, fiat wannabe> yuk! no way!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    i hope im not being too obtuse:)

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We're not completely inconsiderate. The guy who owned the car was a workman working on a house opposite the pub we were heading to (just out of shot of the photograph). We told him we'd blocked him in and if he minded to let us know as we were in the pub. He was cool about it.

16. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    My "friend" parked in the middle of a 2 car lot at the side of the road. Trees on both sides... except for the iQ in his behind. From that day on he only occupied a single spot, and I saved my bumper by parking further down the road.

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You shouldn't just buy the IQ for parking reasons. I've driven all sorts of cars in my lifetime and I mean all sorts - you name it (unless it's really odd) and I'll have probably driven it; from super cars to the IQ.

I'll tell you the IQ puts more of a smile on your face than most cars out there - the engine is slow, acceleration poor, but what it lacks there it more than makes up in character and smiles per mile. I really think our American friends are missing out on a fun drive by just not considering a small car because of outdated stereotypes. Remember when you first started driving and you had that engaging small car which was fun to drive like the old Mini, well the IQ is probably the nearest modern car to tick that box.

Suggest to our friends on the other side of the Atlantic that if you've a spare afternoon, pop down to your Scion dealer and take an IQ for a test drive, preferably a manual if they offer it. You'll love it. Don't worry what your friends or neighbours would think if you actually bought one, make your own mind up.

Go for it! :)

1 person likes this.
  18. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well written and well taken. However - I learned to drive in Ford and Plymouth V8s. For many years after I learned to drive I borrowed my Uncle's car - smallest engine we had was a Mopar Slant 6. Just saying.

I do appreciate your point of view. Some of the small, slow cars I've had left me many fond memories over the years. Corollas, Prizms and old Subarus - now I think my wife's 2007 Fit is way too zippy. The Smart looks silly but the IQ looks appealing. Maybe I'll go try one as my C may be on a really, really slow boat from Japan.:D

19. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Prius c doesn't look any more a Punto than any other B-segment car. And how can it possibly be a wannabe? Punto doesn't offer a hybrid drive, and not even the driving involvement of the normal Yaris!

20. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Okay - I'm not crazy afterall - I think the pic of the car "in the wild" below is the same car I saw one night at Safeway.
    The mystery of the "Toyota" IQ - IQ with a Toyota badge is partially solved:
    This pic is off the internet:
    [​IMG]
    And here's one in the wild:[​IMG]