1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WWDC 2013 discussion (iOS 7, Mac OS X Mavericks, Mac Pro, MacBook Air, etc.)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Jun 10, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Let's discuss anything and everything having to do w/what was announced and being shown at WWDC 2013 here.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Multitasking in the new iPhone iOS

Hurray

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The upcoming Mac Pro has an unusual design. It could be mistaken for a trash can...

Apple - Mac Pro
    showed it in the jar at WWDC.
    Up Close And Personal With Apple’s New Mac Pro, A Sleek Black Aluminum Beast | TechCrunch and Next-generation Apple Mac Pro eyes-on at WWDC 2013 (video) have some pics.

I haven't looked around carefully but it sounds like it won't have any drive bays nor room for spinning hard drives. If so and you need a ton of storage, I guess the only choice is to hook up external hard drives.

JMD likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm faced with the same problem at work. So I'm going to build out Linux system to be an iSCSI disk server using COTS, USB drives. In reality, I would prefer a single-board, diskless computer but budgets being what they are, we can afford to pay the electricity and cooling cost but not the purchase price of the optimum solution. <sigh>

Bob Wilson

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^
    Yep. Apple is gambling that a diverse market of thunderbolt external HDs will be available.
    My fingers are crossed -- it is a brilliant interface with benefits that would trickle down to modest users like me.

E.g., my wife has an iMac, late 2012 edition. A current generation fast SSD like the Samsung 840 Pro attached to thunderbolt is already faster than the oem boot drive. What an upgrade path ! I know some people will point out that USB 3.0 exists, and I am happy that it does. But USB 3.0 tops out at about 0.3 GB/sec in actual use due to overhead, while thunderbolt moves a full GB/sec in the 1.0 version, and 2 GB/sec in the 2.0 version. The bottleneck when using Thunderbolt has moved to the SSD interface itself. Amazing. If SSD switch from SATA/SAS to PCIe we can expect GB/sec all day long, internal and external; whether read, write or copy.

Definitely something to look forward too.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Innovation has always been Apple's strong suite.

Bob Wilson

7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Waiting eagerly to replace my iPhone 4S with the next iPhone that hopefully will be introduced in Fall. Every 2 years they get my $200.

I enjoy the iPhone and iPad but I'm still a True blue Windows Laptop owner.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yeah, they definitely have to release an updated iPhone before Christmas shopping season. Unfortunately, I feel like it'll just be an incremental improvement over the iPhone 5. The Android world is moving really fast...

JMD likes this.
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    $200 does not sound like a lot; it is the $100+ plus bill every month you likely pay for the privilege of the inexpensive upgrade I prefer to avoid.

My wife's iPhone 3GS will not be supported for ios 7.0. We'll see if she is tempted by the rumored cheap(er) iPhone expected in the Fall which would permit an iOS upgrade and continuation of her pre-paid ~ $40 USD monthly plan*.

* StraigtTalk through Walmart: Uses AT&T network in my area, unlimited talk, text; 2 GB HS internet a month.
    Truth be told, Apple already sales some of it's phones direct to the customer, albeit for a hefty price. I'm hopeful the 'budget' iPhone will cost < $400 to compete with similar offers from Google.

10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At&T has a iPhone Plan for $60, the senior plan may be $45. Check out the web site or visit the store. When I was in the store the guy googled my company and said if I show proof of employment a pay stub I can get a 15% discount. There are plenty of organizational discounts AARP etc

450 minutes plus 300 MB data is $60. A refurb iPhone 5 is free and the best buy store waves the activation fee, ask ATT to wave it by matching Best Buy. . I got 200 text messages a Month plan for $3, but if I get text from another AT&T customer it's free. That is grandfathered in from years ago.

image.jpg

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Years ago I looked at the Android. Grant it you have multiple phone manufacturers to choose from. Some were cheap handsets others better quality. The OS to me at that time was elementary. The icons looked flimsy. Just not as high quality as the iPhone. I'm told google has made leaps. I'm torn to leave Apple since I purchased the first iPhone and waited in the line it s LI breaking up with a girlfriend who you dig. Well see

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Indeed, I used a company discount during the years I was forced to buy an AT&T subscription in order to use an iPhone.

No More!

You are right that it is possible to pay less than $100 a month for an AT&T subscription, but the use limits are way below what my pre-paid offers. If their offer matches your use it might be something to consider, but I doubt it ;)
    E.g. price out unlmited talk/text and 2 GB a month HS data on a subscription plan. You also have to add in some 15%-20% extra for AT&T junk fees, taxes etc. The ST plan is a bit less than $42 a month OTD (out the door) ;)

Addendum: OK, I decided to take the price challenge.
    The closest I could match was unlimited talk/messages and 3 GB/month LTE at $120 a month before taxes/fees/surcharges. Shiiiiiiiiit

JMD likes this.
  13. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My friend gave up on AT&T and got a IPhone on Sprint. Unlimited data but it is the slower 3G network in San Diego. He hates it. T-Mobil is unlimited data but can be expensive per month on voice.

I think Virgin is pre Paid and they have newer iPhones but not the newest 5. A IPhone 4S is $382 the plans start at $35 per month. Still an older phone small display and slower processor.

You got a good deal but man your missing so much with the new handsets.
    Th 15% discount eliminates the junk fee's or taxes. You also get free calls to other AT&T cells and unlimited weekend. They have an app so you can see how much your calling against you plan. I know no one likes to commit to a 2 year contract but your not going anywhere and you can't live without a Phone now a days. That commitment is giving you a new iPhone at $400 off the price ($600 without a Contract for iPhone 5)

I would not do anything until the iPhone 5S comes out. The older stuff will drop in price and who knows maybe a cheaper handset will release as you said earlier or you may decide to bite the bullet for $20 more a month and get the 5S on a 2 year contract

image.jpg

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sage you got an old as the hills phone but a cheap voice data plan :)

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My RAZR resembles that remark ;)
    My wife's iPhone 3GS is cutting edge.

JMD likes this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is T-mobile when you bring your own phone:

t-mobile.png

Since HS data speeds on T-mobile are even more location dependent than AT&T I won't say they are a no-brainer over AT&T for everyone, but it comes close.

17. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A few thoughts. The Great Recession has instilled in me that 2 things. 2 plans being identical I'll pick the American company. 2 plans being not identical but close I'll pick the American company.
    Now I do have a Sony TV and a Samsung Fridge and a Toyota car, but I try to keep it close to home if I can.

T-Mobil plan sounds interesting but unless they walk on water f em :)

How much data and phone are you using? I found that with the 450 minutes,and 300 MB data using the free hot spots I was good with the AT&T plan at $60 a month and have over 2,000 minutes in my rollover. I also get a brand new phone every 2 years most current model. If your a power user than pick the plan that fits. Check your historical usage.

I do pay $30 a month for high speed DSL in the home so there is some talk about ending that and using the cell data plan as a hot spot. Still thinking about it. Problem is 4 people in the house rely on the DSL and kids stream Netflix play ames etc if he speed is slow well you get the picture

18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't laugh I have a razor flip phone in my night stand. Don't have the heart to part with it. Thought I was James Kirk with that damn thing. Remember when Moto was the king of the hill? Now the bottom of the rung. Nokia whats up with them? Blackberry are they still around?

image.jpg

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Your example is exactly why I hesitate to put much value on LTE. The data cap is so low customers seek out wi-fi. Well, unless they are paying well over $100 a month for a single line.

Incidentally, T-mobile also offers corporate discounts. The tangent to T-mobile was in response to your post of a friend looking for an AT&T alternative. I personally find MVNOs the way to go.

JMD likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Laugh ? NOTHING beats a RAZR :)
    I have to admit though that reception is spotty. If I was sure it was the phone and not the network I would probably join the Android masses.

Speaking of An(droid), Moto is supposed to be coming out with it's first Google phone this year.