1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio on a 2009 - Do I have it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Kermitt, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Kermitt

Kermitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My stereo is the upgraded JBL and it has the AM-SAT Button on it but when I push the button, it does not go anywhere but the AM; was that an option and I need an additional accessory to make it work? The manual says some have the option but since my car is fully loaded, shouldn't I just have that> Or am I missing something on how to access it?

Thanks a lot

2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kermitt, you dont have it from the factory or otherwise once you pressed the SAT button, it would come on and you'd hear at least the channel that tells you to call them for a subscription. However, its VERY easy to install. I installed it on my 2007 with the same 6-disc JBL that you have and it took me all of 30 minutes.

I used the forums for what to buy (SCC1 & Sir-Toy modules) and spent about $140 by buying everything on amazon.com. With those 2 modules, it goes through the factory touch screen so you dont have any tacky additional head units sticky glued to your interior or any wires hanging all over the place. You have the option of having the dealer install Sirius for around $250-$300 IIRC. Much cheaper to do it yourself.

3. Kermitt

Kermitt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for your response PriusGuy32; That's what I thought but it does not hurt to ask ans use my "newbie" status as an excuse, right? Hey, do you have to disassemble the dashboard to install it?

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a pretty good instructional on youtube. I discovered that if you have skinny arms, you dont have to remove the stereo, which eliminates many steps in the dash disassembly. I plugged the connector into the back of the radio by feel.

I also installed the sirius modules in the lower glovebox - theres a compartment in the back of the glovebox where both modules fit perfectly and theres a hole pre-existing in the glovebox where you can run the wires for the Sirius antenna & the module wire to the back of the stereo. Its like it was meant to be :D