1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yakima and Thule Cargo Boxes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tadashi, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have gotten a lot of help from Darell on this topic. However, I was wonder what if anyone else had any opinions on the Thule Spirit Roof Cargo Box versus the Yakima Skybox Pro Roof Cargo Box. The Thule is almost twice as expensive but seems to have a sleeker shape. Unfortunately, I have not found a place locally which carries both.

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an update on this topic after talking to the ORS Rack Direct Sales Rep.

Basically, he stated that the Thule was more aerodynamic and had a lower profile (sleeker, 4" less, and sits lower on the bars). This should reduce the drag and noise more. However, it does have 2 cu ft less than the Yakima but I do not see this as being a major factor.

FYI, The other issue is the rep brought up is that I would have to use the Yakima Landing Pad #7 instead of the #6 like Darrell uses. They said they would not warranty the #6 if I used them but the #7 should do the same job.