1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow exclamation point in brackets is on. Squiggly line below mark. What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sockmonkey, Jun 25, 2012.

1. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Yellow exclamation point in brackets is on. Squiggly line below mark. What does this mean?"
    I did some research and everyone says tire pressure, yet all my tires are the right pressure... SO could it mean something else? I would look at the owners manual, but unfortunately don't have it...

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it comes on while stopped it is most likely the Hill-Start Assist. This holds the friction brakes on for a couple of seconds on a hill to give you time to move your foot from brake pedal to accelerator. This is engaged by pressing the brake a little harder than normal.

If this indicator comes on while driving it indicates wheel slip.

3. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do I turn it off?

4. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Description makes it sound like the tire pressure indicator (the brackets and squiggly line is really the cross section of a tire w. the exclamation point inside). Don't have my manual handy, but I believe there's a TPMS reset button somewhere under the steering wheel (?)

If it's really the tire slip indicator (profile of a car above squiggly lines) and the car's not moving, you've engaged hill start assist (by pressing the foot brake to the floor after stopping). Just put it in Park (clears the indicator) and then back in Drive (should remain off).

Later happened to me a couple times and I was concerned before I remembered ... It's a "Feature." Ugh.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is it this light? TPMS Light Confuses Drivers Study Says

If yes, it is TPMS. As for "right pressure". What pressure are the tires at when they're cold? And yes, you might need to reset the baseline per the other posts.

6. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, these lights are getting confusing.

And, IMHO, the idea of using the TIRE SLIP INDICATOR (a warning indicator) to also tell you that hill stop assist is engaged (a feature ON indicator) just adds to the confusion.

It's just a bad UI design choice.

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    moved to the proper forum

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OP's profile says 2006 Prius. Hill start assist didn't exist in the 2nd gen (04-09 Prius) AFAIK. It's definitely not on the 06. My 06 Prius is the 2nd highest package so it has everything available except leather.

I'm pretty sure it was new feature that started w/the 3rd gen. I helped a friend shop for cars last year and she ended up buying a new '11 Prius. Her salesman didn't tell her about HSA. I walked her thru the steps to engage it so she knew how and what was going on if she engaged it.

9. hsnyder

hsnyder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah ...
    Yeah ... there was some confusion wrt which indicator the OP was describing, and since it was originally posted to the Prius v forum, HSA was suspect since one possibile interpretation was that it was the TIRE SLIP INDICATOR.
    I think we're clear now. Thanks.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yes, I reported the original post as being in the wrong area.

It seems there's been a wave again of people posting in the wrong area, usually the Prius v area, for some reason.

11. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to have my tires checked today... as for posting in the wrong area.. apologies.. but I would have thought it would have been in maintenance.....

12. sockmonkey

sockmonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my car in and they told me that the sensor's battery is probably out... and that is whey I am experiencing this problem. The tire was replaced and the light was still on. They hooked the car up to a machine and he said all the sensors were working except for the front left driver side... any ideas on how to change the battery for the sensor?

13. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

You posted it in the Prius v maintenance forum, not the Gen III Maintenance forum... No problem though, it's been moved. Seems MANY people keep doing this for some reason, posting in the Prius v forum without looking at where they are posting.