1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow parking brake warning light on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by billbobflowchart, Feb 10, 2006.

1. billbobflowchart

billbobflowchart New Member

My 2006 Prius (1000 miles) is showing the yellow warning light on the dash for the parking brake when the brake is off. All the manual says is "take it to the dealer." Can anybody tell me what the yellow (as opposed to red) means? Apparently if the red light is on, one must stop driving immediately. Yellow is different. Any Clues?

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Recheck your manual. In my 2006 the warning light for the parking brake being applied is a RED light that says "brake" at the upper left side of the dash. I expect the yellow light is a different indicator for some other malfunction. There are a couple of pages showing all the various warning lights in the manual. Yours is probably an anti-lock brake system malfunction light. Is there any additional warnings showing in the MFD?

- Tom

3. billbobflowchart

Tom:

Look at page 117 of your manual and yopu will see what I mean.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i haven't seen the lights in the 06 and i've never seen that yellow light come on in my own car... can you describe the shape of the icon?

if it says take it to the dealer, that's what you should do. might be any component of the brake system, abs, vsc, anything else that's got any influence on stopping the car.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If I recall correctly, the yellow brake warning (circle with exclamation marks inside, with brake pad "brackets" left and right) indicates a failure of the regenerative braking. Although what exactly that covers, I don't know. You should be getting normal mechanical braking instead, until the red light comes on, at least.

It needs to go to the dealer, but it should be fine to drive it there.

As for all the people talking about "BRAKE" - it seems possible the the original poster is from outside the US, where the brake failure/parking brake light is a red icon as described above.

As I understand it, in the US some of the ISO standard international warning icons use text like BRAKE instead, presumably on the grounds that Americans can't figure the pictures out and/or won't look them up in the manual.

6. billbobflowchart

Hello:

The icon is an exclamation point (!) inside of a triangle.

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Page 117 in my manual describes how to use the wiper controls. I am guessing the poster who thought you were not in the USA is correct? You can set your location in your user profile so other chat users know where you are from.

In my 2006's manual, on page 125 it shows the USA and non-US indicators as "BRAKE" or a circle with an exclamation point and curved lines on either side. Under it it says "red indicator and buzzer". My indicator is indeed red, I have never heard a buzzer, but I have never tried to drive off with the parking brake on.

The "Do this" part of my manual says: "If parking brake is off, stop immediately and contact Toyota dealer". Below that, it just shows the circle icon and notes "yellow indicator" with the "Take vehicle to the Toyota Dealer", same as you're saying. On page 127, it says yellow means "regenerative brake system is fails..." (sic) and then says red or yellow could mean "when the hydraulic brake system fails..." followed with the instructions again to not drive if the light is red.

So it looks like my manual gives about the same advice. Your regenerative system may be out, or there may be a non deadly problem in the hydraulic system. In any case, it sounds like it a trip to the dealer is in your future but at least you can drive it there.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

- Tom

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you're describing the master indicator light. what does the yellow light icon look like? is it the same as KMO described?

there is definitely a problem that you need to have looked at here.

9. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If the master warning light is on, shouldn't there be more information in the MFD?

- Tom

10. billbobflowchart

Tom:

My bad. Sorry to have been misleading. The "!" is circled and yellow. Probably the regenerative braking system as per KMO's reply. Will take the car to the dealer this PM and let you all know what has happened. I am in KY USA.

Bill

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    not always.

12. billbobflowchart

Hello All:

About this light coming on... My wife was driving the car when this light came on. She telephoned me and explained what was happening. Somehow I misunderstood her description of the situation [and subsequently miscommunicated the symptom to the group]. She took the car to the dealer and found that a tire had been puctured on the sidewall and that the light indicated that the tire was deflating. I promise that before I post again, I will do a better assessment. But thanks for the attention to the original question.

We are new to the Prius and were motivated to purchase due to the high price of fuel in combination with concern for the planet. So...we have two of these cars. Mine is a Pkg. 2 and hers a Pkg. 6. My wife [the brains in the family] bought hers first and I did not drive the thing for the first several weeks of ownership. When I did, I was thoroughly impressed and purchased mine. I had been driving BMW up to that point. We drive up to 3K per month and I am amazed at the mileage and the "feel" of the car. It has a "big car" feel and we are getting about 49 mpg here in the hills of KY. It is my understanding that the 1.5 liter engine is rated at 76 hp. So...the electric motor must really add some kick as these cars accelerate impressively when needed.

Anyway...thanks again!

Bill

13. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey Bill, no problem. Glad it turned out simple. The tire warning light does look a bit like the brake warning light. It's sort of a rounded U shaped tire cross section, yellow, with an excamation point. It doesn't have the cuved lines (parenthesis sort of) on either side like the brake one. The yellow brake warning and tire deflation light are both on the right of the dash. Put the car in IGN-ON mode and you can see them all light up for a few seconds. The more serious red "BRAKE" warning is on the left side.

That's always been my complaint about icons without any words. When you have to squeeze a lot of them into a small area a lot of them start looking alike. I wish that Toyota would use the central display in more cases for additional info that is in the local language. You'd get an icon on the dash and the MFD display would tell you what it was in english, french, spanish, whatever. My Audi had one that looked very important - a volcano going off - with a very loud chime sounding. It was the low windshield washer fluid signal. Scared the hell out of you when it would go off on an expressway ramp curve.

It is also interesting that my manual seems to have a few more pages than yours. I've got the 2006 with NAV, and my manual seems to be written for all models down to the no-package version.

- Tom

14. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    billbobflowchart

Welcome to PriusChat; glad the members were able to help.

Please post your location in your profile and your Prius year/package in your signature to avoid repeating confusion in the future.

15. billbobflowchart

Vincent:

Thanks.

Bill