1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet again...another 12v battery question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Justin Glose, Jan 2, 2013.

1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    None of that surprises me. The main thing is that you got the car running again and the new battery in.

Hopefully if someone goes to Pep Boys they will have the battery like what you bought for them too.

Ron

2. Benjamin White

Benjamin White New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Lucky44, I can't figure out how to get the vent tube in the Bosch 51-440B-AGM. Can you (or anyone else) describe how "you can swap it from one side to the other (exchanging a plug for the vent tube)." ?

Does this ABG battery need to be vented at all?

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't know about the Bosch battery. What I can say is this, the vent tube should simply press in and snap in place. It sounds like you need to pull the plug, and then swap it around to the other side so you can plug the vent tube into the battery. FWIW, the OEM battery that you could buy from Toyota (True Start) has the vent tube on the correct end.

Here's the part # if you want to get the OEM battery. 00544-21171-325

It is a true "drop in" battery, AGM type and is being manufactured by Interstate Battery which is branded for Toyota under the True Start brand name. I purchased that battery directly from a Toyota dealer. It comes with a three year warranty. I recently put one in our Prius. I am very happy with the end results.

Also, the battery must be vented to the outside of the car. If it were not, there would be a chance of gases being expelled into the cabin area whenever the battery is charging. That is the purpose of the vent tube.

Ron

TsKarma likes this.