1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another blinking pip low fuel question?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swaco, Dec 1, 2013.

1. swaco

swaco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know in my 2008 once it started blinking I can go a full 50 miles before I felt uncomfortable but the 2008 did not have a distance to empty like the 2013 apparently does and it appears that this morning on the 2013 the PIP started liking when I only had maybe 30 miles to go so my question is once the 2013 gets down to zero does the car run out of fuel because it looks like the program that for only 30 miles between the time it starts blinking in the time to distance to empty hit zero. What say you

iPhone ? - now Free

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The most I've done is drive 50 miles after the the DTE says 0. I filled up 9 gallons. I roughly estimate 2.5 gallons in the tank when the DTE says 0.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob Wilson, who likes to test these sorts of things for fun and sport and nerdy engineering knowledge, has already run this test for us. Read the first post of [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III).

Beware that your car won't be identical to his, and without actually running dry, you won't know just how different. I have taken mine 90 miles past the blinking pip without running dry, that was enough for my purposes.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, mine always has 2.5 gallons left when dte hits zero. all you have to do is subtract gallons pumped from tank capacity.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are numerous threads dealing with DTE and "when" to fill up.

I'm usually driving in the suburbs which means gas stations are usually nearby and plentiful. So what I do, is drive my Prius until the DTE says zero. The last 20 miles on the DTE I watch very closely, because the gauge is not 100% accurate. I've had it suddenly drop to zero, way quicker than the advertised miles left. But once it hits zero, I don't panic, because my experience is that I have a gallon, almost 2 gallons left. Once it hits zero though, I pretty aggressively look to fill up.

Using this method, I don't feel I'm risking running out of gasoline, I think it's a good safety cushion. My only warning would be, make sure you are not on a long road trip that puts you in a isolated area that might NOT have a gas station nearby, and when you get 20 miles or less to empty, keep your eye on the gauge.