1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet Another P1121 Thread...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Armicron, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Armicron

Armicron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've scoured the forums and I just have a few questions left. I took my car in for an oil change and the mechanic said I needed to have my water valve replaced. The price he quoted me for that was 640$. Based on everything I've read, this is too much. I said I'd have it done later as I had no real symptoms. Well, today I'm on the road and I get the check engine light to come on, pull into an AutoZone and the reading is a P1121 code. No other codes.

I'm very hesitant to go back to that dealer mechanic because frankly I just don't trust them. Call it gut instinct.

The question is this:
    Can I drive with a P1121 CEL code for a bit? How long? Can this wait until tomorrow? Next week? Next month? I have 0 leakage from any of my fluids. Everything is full. No performance issues. No noises. No smells. Nothing else out of the ordinary.
    Can I continue to drive as long as I monitor the fluids carefully, or is monitoring the fluids irrelevant in regards to the vehicle working correctly.

Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! check out the thread: P1121 Coolant Control Valve Replacement (with pics)
    by member 'Stomper88'

#2 bisco, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  3. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't blame you for not paying the dealer price, that's too high! I had an independent mechanic do mine. If I remember right it took him about an hour and I brought him the part and coolant from Toyota. My total cost was under $200.

4. Armicron

Armicron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That thread doesn't actually answer my question.

5. Armicron

Armicron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I kept seeing 300$-400$ around the forums. Honestly if I could get it done for $300 I'd be pleased.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look for a local mechanic. the part is only 80 bucks and the time is minimal.

7. Armicron

Armicron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will, thank you for the advice.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry i can't answer whether you can continue to drive it. can't find anything definitive on google. hopefully, someone with more knowledge will jump in here. all the best!(y)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you can drive the car indefinitely with DTC P1121. Make sure that you check the engine coolant level in the radiator, not just the overflow container (must remove large black panel over radiator for access to the radiator cap.)

You may find that the cabin heater does not work very well.

It is highly relevant to monitor all engine compartment fluids, especially engine oil and engine/inverter coolants, if you want your car to continue to operate without problems.

Armicron likes this.
  10. EH2016

EH2016 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the exact same situation that you describe in your initial post, except my mechanic wants $662. How long did you go before you addressed CEL/P1121? And how did you do so?

11. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You can drive indefinitely, with this code. As Patrick stated in a reply above the heater maybe affected.

I have had this code go off and on since about April, bought control unit and am waiting for cooler weather to do it. It will cost me less than $100 (control unit and hose clamps). There are videos online for diy.

Diy or get a friend to assist, you'll feel better and your wallet will be thicker. :)

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Find a different mechanic. Goto Luscious Garage (San Francisco) or Art's Automotive (Berkeley), both highly reputable and trustworthy shops.

$100 valve
    $20-$60 coolant (pinch hoses or drain/fill engine &/or inverter loop)
    $500 in labor for upto 2hrs work! $250/hour.
    Yeah, this shop,has to go.

1) Can't drive indefinetly b/c of smog check.
    2) Lack of heat, if valve is in wrong position, may force OP to get repaired sooner rather than later.
    3) OP may be a non DIY person.

13. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When it comes to a "good" mechanic, what you're actually looking for is a good "hybrid" mechanic. Anyone can quote the shop rate and charge you $600. But a good hybrid mechanic that specializes in this repair can do it for half the cost.