1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another Prius 4 newbie

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Ron Strilaeff, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Ron Strilaeff

Ron Strilaeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not even seen my car yet. That's how new I am.

They said they would explain how everything works whew I go to pick it up but can any of you give me pointers one what I REALLY need him to show me?

I'm also very nervous since it is expensive to buy and it is a such a radical change from my 2008 Nissan Forntier. I got options I don't really need, but I hope to keep it for 10 years and make a big cross country trip once or twice a year as well as several weekend trips within half a days drive.

I want to believe that this will be a long term lowest cost of ownership car I've ever owned. Is that true?

Thanks, Ron

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's nothing special to this car, just put gas in and drive. As you get use to driving the car, you will learn all the features that come with it.

Just learn the basics, how to put into gear, park, parking brakes, stop/start. Climate controls, audio controls, navigation controls.....these will take a little time to get used to.....along with voice commands.

3. Ron Strilaeff

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. It is the middle of the night and I'm having serious second thoughts (preventing sleep ... damit).

Maybe I should I just forfeit the $1000 delivery deposit ... something does not feel right. :-(

I just wanted a fuel efficient car with a good stereo, and will probably will never use 90% of that "entune" crap (I don't even have a smartphone, in fact I avoid talking on the phone). Somehow I got suckered into all this feature creep. And I don't even like the way it looks with those dinky wheels and from the front it looks like some sort of fat ugly parrot (sorry).

Help!

#3 Ron Strilaeff, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The delivery deposit is usually refundable if you don't go through with it

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the fuel will be efficient, but did you listen to the stereo?

6. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your deposit should be refundable. Go look at the car, talk to the salesman, then make a decision.

Good luck.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think you will love it.

8. Ron Strilaeff

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow... thanks for the encouraging responses. I have driven one similar to it and then saw the Blizzard Pearl with the solar roof in their prep area so asked them to get me a model 4 like that (with legal window tint).

I have heard the stereo on low for 30 seconds during my test drive and could already tell it is dramatically better than the stock one on my truck which I decided I was going to sell privately: 2008 Nissan Frontier LE King Cab. Now I know that's what was bugging me; I felt like I was betraying my best friend by "giving" it to them for an embarrassingly low trade in value. Some semi-country or handyman person will snap it up I hope!

So I told my dealer that I want to re-figure the Prius cost/financing without the trade in.

Changing to that vehicle from my truck will be a major culture shock, but I'm sure I'll get over it soon. :)

=-=-=-=-=

@bisco: Are you implying that the "JBL" stereo is good?

#8 Ron Strilaeff, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  9. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went from a 1997 Ford F-250 diesel to the Prius and never regretted it.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i love my prius, but the stereo is horrible imo.

11. Ron Strilaeff

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I made an nice person-umption that a high tech car like the 2014 Prius would have a decent premium sound system. On teh test drive, I asked the salesman/passenger to turn off the stereo after a fe seconds so I could listen to the car (he was trying to find his favorite county station).

After a bit of research here, it's obvious that Toyota cut some corners on music. I'm not really an audiophile, but if my test CD on the JBL does not make me grin and immerse me in the music, it's a deal breaker, in which case I'll just apologize, kindly ask for my $1000 back (or just contest the credit card charge) and look for some other a fuel efficient car with a good factory "premium" sound system, and less plastic panel rattling and road noise.

Do the other hybrid Toyotas use the Hybrid Synergy Drive and if so, why are they so much less fuel efficient than the Prius?

12. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I only listen to talk radio, so the stereo has never been much of a concern for me, but the stock system seems good enough. The only annoying thing is that I need to have the volume at 40+ to hear it on AM for some reason.

A similar drivetrain can be found in the Camry, etc, but the reason the Prius is so efficient is because it was designed to be.... above all else, and with a number of sacrifices. The other hybrids are just regular ICE vehicles that had a hybrid drive adapted for them.

SPH-L300 ?

13. Ron Strilaeff

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I cancelled the order for the Prius 4 ... just too expensive and not quite suited for what I really need.
    Happy right lane cruising y'all !
    Ron

14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Let us know what you end up getting.

15. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you do buy one, you're really, really passing gas stations. Also the thoing runs on regular gas.....

16. Ron Strilaeff

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a Subaru Crosstrek because I occasional need to go on rough roads. It is not a hybrid, but gets 25-32 mpg because it is light weight and not overpowered.

17. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I love the look of the Crosstrek! I just bought a Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) Two tonight. I didn't want all that other crap that I would never use .