1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Young in mileage, old in chronology, how worried should I be?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JasonGoalie34, May 26, 2014.

1. JasonGoalie34

JasonGoalie34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm probably just being driven crazy by the multitude of horror stories on the site. I know that at the end of the day, few Prius batteries fail during their lifetime...

But I'm in a unique situation. The only way I would be financially able and personally willing to have a Prius in my life was to go to a dealer, and get an old model year with relatively low mileage. Private party was tempting, but ultimately too risky as far as I saw it.

So indeed I jumped at the chance for a 2004 with a scant 53,000 miles on it. A wonderful find from a mileage standpoint, but that battery has existed on earth for a decade.

How worried should I be? What cheap solutions do I have (in New England) if the battery fails?

It's been a great two weeks with my new car, but I want it to eventually be a great 5-7 years.

2. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't worry...I got 265k on my 2005, and it is still running fine. I just have to watch my speed when climbing a hill. Get a Scangauge so you can really monitor the HV battery. If your charge goes down to less than 40% during a climb or heavy AC use, than you need to keep an eye out for the battery. Also, one can get an HV battery for about $1500.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    with only 53000 miles, you should not be too concerned with the mileage. The battery will eventually need replacement and you probably should buy a new battery if you are looking for another 7 years of service.

another reliable option could be getting a gen3 battery pack and swap the modules into your gen2 car.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you're so concerned then get something else. The Prius whilst reliable can be expensive if certain parts fail outside warranty. If that will cause you significant issues, then seriously consider something different. Just choose wisely.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would sleep like a baby, time has little effect on the battery. there are thousands of '04's on the road with the original battery and many with a lot more miles too, including my neighbor. '04 was a very strong year imo.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Put it this way, My 2001 with 130,000 miles, is still on the original battery but, battery life has a lot of dependent factors. I live in a mild climate, I don't strain the battery by going up mountains etc. If you're battery is good now and you learn as much as you can about the Prius and how to "baby" the battery, there is no reason why it can't last another 4-5 years but there are of course no guarantees on anything.

7. JasonGoalie34

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While the "get something else" suggestion isn't realistic (having just bought the thing 2 weeks ago), a grand majority of the advice has been extremely helpful as usual.

Of course I know nothing is guaranteed in this world. Heck, for all we know, someone's 2013 HV battery is about to go kablooie tomorrow :). But if that replacement estimate of $1500 is accurate, I personally wouldn't find that to be an overwhelming financial risk... It would stink to have to shell out the money, but if it happens, it happens...

Seems like most of you are doing really well with your older Prii. Thanks for the calming words.

8. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The energy BAR gauge is your friend when it comes to babying the battery. The best advice is to always allow the engine to run for 30 seconds when cold, particularly if you start off climbing. I can end up at the top of my hill with a "full" 6 bar blue gauge or an "empty" 2 bar purple one, solely determined by whether or not I do that. Leaving at another location where there is no hill, I do not bother. The gauge will let you know if it matters. I'm one of the '04 high mileage owners. I've put 50K on mine in two years and am at 248K now with a "normal" acting battery. With your car it will be hard to say. If it was driven regularly, all is well. If it sat for periods of time, less so. This is more critical with an Insight than a Prius, however.

I say "full" and "empty" because there are eight bars meaning that 8 and 0 are also available. The control system tries to keep things between 6 and 2, however. The less swing, the healthier things are, be it the battery itself, or your personal driving habits. Using the air conditioner in heavy traffic will tend to cause a great deal of swing. Actually, stop and go traffic will do that even if the AC is off. It's considered normal driving but obviously works the battery a bit harder, an area of "interest" for we elderly battery owners. I stop short of saying "concern".

9. JasonGoalie34

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Kurzweil.

I actually back downhill out of my driveway each morning :).

I know a little something about the concept of the battery meter... goes between 40-80% charge or something like that. And so far, yes, that meter generally stays between "4" and "7." Never seen it truly go to "8", and the only time I saw it go low was when I idled in the driveway with the A/C on... practically asking the car to drain the battery.

So by your metric, everything seems alright so far. Thanks for the technical advice.