1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yup, the c gets worse highway mileage than the Gen 3

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by rumpledoll, Mar 27, 2013.

1. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am a new c owner (850 miles), but have had a 2010 gen 3 package V since new. This weekend I had to drive an identical highway back and forth of 52 miles 4 times over two days.

I used cruise control the whole way with one section at 59MPH and another 67MPH.

The c struggled to get 49 MPG while the 2010 gen 3 easily got 53 MPG. Interesting.

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The C's mileage will improve...the GenIII is broken in and the C isn't.

RocMills and poser like this.
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Can be a lot of factors.
    1) The C gets worse mileage the faster you go, whereas it doesn't affect the full-size as badly.
    2) Your tire pressures could be different.
    3) Less likely, but the temperatures could have dropped only when you were driving the C. (y)(y)
    4) Even less likely... the 2010 is dirty and is creating a golf ball dimple vortex over the car thus increasing the air flow and getting you better gas mileage... :rolleyes:
    5) You subconsciously want the bigger car to do better so you, without noticing, gave it more throttle in all situations... :whistle:

Ok, I didn't say the situations were realistic.

cknfts, karabits, poser and 1 other person like this.
  4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius C for CITY has an engine optimized for fuel efficiency in city, or more realistically stop-and-go situations. An interstate during rushhour may be more like the "city" definition than a city road with 60mph speed limit and you get all green lights.

The C has a 1.5L engine while the liftback is 1.8L. Bigger displacement engines do better on the highway where the efficiency band is up higher.

rumpledoll likes this.
  5. homeless

homeless Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with above posts. I have roughly 12,000 miles on my C and noticed that the C was "broken" in after about 1500 miles. My commute is 90 miles one way at highways speeds. The best MPG (calculated) was 58mpg. The only 3 variables that affect my MPG is wind direction/speed, average speed, and tire pressure. When there is no wind, I average 55mpg every day. Of course, this winter I had my Michelin XI2 snow tires on, and the MPG's really took a dump!

6. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought the c for my 10.2 mile a day city roads commute, so this is neither a disappointment nor unexpected. I'm running 42lbs/40lbs in the c tires and 40lbs/39lbs in the Gen 3. The Gen 3 is simply better optimized for highway travel gas milage than the c. However, I have noticed that in the about town trips the c kicks the Gen 3's arse, although I've not had the chance to do a back to back shootout as I could with this past weekends highway trips.

7. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've done a lot of highway driving with my c and the things that I found affect my mpgs are:
    Speed
    Wind
    Outside temperature
    Tire pressure
    Elevation

I'm happy if I can get 46 MPG most of the time when driving around 71-74MPH.

That's probably the thing I hate most about the c - it's slow highway performance and "not so great" (40mpg) fuel economy on highway

8. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm driving my C at about 60MPH for 16.5 miles one way here in Orange County, SoCal and getting over 60MPG easily, lot of times I got more than 70MPG and the highest was 84MPG (that was a big surprise).

9. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can't wait for the warmer weather and better milage. Still cold here in NJ.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The above poster is correct.
    The "C" is for CITY.
    All other things being equal...the G3 should get better mileage at 'highway' speeds.....mostly from its superior aerodynamics. The C-model is shorter than the G3.
    FWIBT.

But hey...once the new year whoop-de-do dies down, you'll be able to get the trial-sized Prius for several thou less than the adult version....and the C-model will outgun almost every other four-wheeled vehicle on the interstate...and even some 2-wheeled ones.
    So....no reason to hang your heads in shame or get a Scrappy-Do attitude about it. ;)
    Some drivers actually prefer the lines of the C-model, and there's no doubt that the color availability and some of the interior appointments will appear to a segment of the population that does not really identify with the G3.

Me???
    I would have stuffed the G3's HSD into the Yaris platform and saved some development costs.....but I'd also attempt a 2-seat drop-top version of the same platform with maybe a user-selectable RWD/AWD.

Toyota and I are on very different wavelengths where car development is concerned, which is OK.
    They're a LOT BETTER at building cars than I am.....otherwise?

I'd be building cars for a living, :)

11. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    yes, the genIII and its bigger size and design allow it to be more aerodynamic.. it helps that it has a nicer powerful 1.8L to help it chug along. whereas, the C putters around with it's puny 1.5L.

i actually find it easier for me to get better mileage on the highway than on city streets..

my commute I would say is very much over 90% highway.. and since i've owned the vehicle.. well.. you can check my signature at my fuelly banner for my fuel economy. it's not impossible to get great numbers on the highway.

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have any stick time in one, but I'll betcha the C-model is even easier to park. Most commuters are only hauling two sets of cheeks to work (requiring only one seat) and so for many road warriors it's a good fit, pun almost unintended.
    The C-model is a little bit of a departure from the Priussy looking Priuses...and for some folks it's worth the one or two extra gallons you're going to burn every other tank.
    YMMV... :)

13. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

People driving the C in the real world are, for the most part, getting better mileage than the liftback, so I don't think C owners are having to buy any extra gasoline.

Toyota Prius C MPG Reports | Fuelly

Toyota Prius MPG Reports | Fuelly

14. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    and our tanks are smaller.. lol.

15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Fuelly (and I believe the data for 2012 on both models)....you're right.

16. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What do you mean by "slow" highway performance?

17. col127

col127 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    car struggles to get up to speed on highways - once it's there, it's okay, but getting on a short on-ramp can be tricky in busy traffic. also going up inclines on highways makes the car really work.

i wish it had more performance like the regular prius did on the highway (that car has enough power when you need it) - but it is a C after all. i hate how the regular prius handles and looks which is why we opted for the C instead :p

it is what it is. can't expect a miracle out of 98 hp :)

18. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    With regards to engine break-in, I don't think that the Prius (LB, C, V, PiP) mileage improves that much after break-in. In fact, I doubt that you would see anything better than a 1-2% improvement. I think that the learning factor and maintaining higher tire pressures play a much bigger role in improving average tank mpg's.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Ryan Case

Ryan Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Owning both a 2011 Gen 3 5 Trim with 17's and a 2012 PC with factory 16's - I can definitely say that the Gen 3 destroys my PC on the highway. In town I slightly one up the Gen 3 (highest recorded 5 mile trip in the PC was 82.4, highest in the Gen 3 was 80 even).

On the highway it is no struggle to see 52-53mpg in the Gen 3 - I have only on ONE occassion witnessed 50mpg out of the c. it simply struggles to maintain speed and anything with hills destroy it for mpg. Not a big deal - i can live with my dismal high 40's on the highway :)

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just wait till the weather warms up. You'll even up a little.

Jon Hagen likes this.