1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino ordered

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tbone22457, Feb 27, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. :)

The new product is fairly similar to my old routine of Z-1 then Z-5 or Z-2. The Z-AIO has mild abrasives whereas the Z-5 doesn't so unless you need to refresh your paint you should be able to just layer up on Z-5.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Among the products that CR actually tests, I totally agree. It has great durability precisely because it's a polymer sealant, whereas almost all the other tested products are just waxes and don't last after two car washes. I know because I was a Nu Finish user many years ago. The nice thing about it is it also has chemical abrasive properties (dissolves stuff chemically rather than through the use of abrasives) so if Nu Finish is all you use once a year you at least remove the dull layer of whatever sticks to the paint. I still use it from time to time to correct bird dropping marring.

On a brand new car, however, it's better to use a polymer sealant that has no chemicals, is easier to remove, provides superior shine and at least the durability of Nu Finish, and which you can apply as often as you like (as it contains absolutely no abrasives) and smells a lot better. Zaino fits this bill.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As F8L mentioned, Z-AIO has mild abrasives whereas Z-5 doesn't. You don't need Z-AIO unless you want to prep the surface. Z-5 can be applied on top of Z-AIO. It doesn't make sense to use Z-AIO on top of Z-5 (thereby removing some of Z-5).

Do one layer of Z-AIO once or twice a year (with two layers of Z-5 on top of it) then Z-5 once a month if desired.

4. Tbone22457

Tbone22457 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok Zaino shipped out the same day as orderd, 1 day later it was here, did the car Holy Sh*T .... I couldn't believe my eyes!! . It took out about 98% of the marks after one app. I ordered Z-AIO, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7 soap + the 3 polish cloths. I was hopeful that it would work, 98 Bucks was steep for wax.
    I was very impressed with how little went a long way, it was easy to use and wiped off with little or no effort at all. Yes it did live up to what everybody said and more. The black is very deep and has a real wet look to it. I have been a Liquid glass fan for about 7 years. It worked well, so I didn't need to try anything else. But I'm glad I did !! Zaino was worth every cent!! I will still use Liquid Glass on my 2001 Dodge Dakota, but Zaino is for the 2 Prius. I'm not sure how Zaino would do on older paint but as for a new car WOW it doe's work. If you care about your paint and are as picky as I am BUY IT!! you wont be disappointed. Will post photos soon as I can:dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Tbone

5. Tbone22457

Tbone22457 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also did the Blizzard Perl too....AWSOME!!! results!! as well.
    Tbone

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a note on polishing the new 2012s. If your car is anything like mine then make sure you buy a clay bar! The paint felt like sandpaper. I am not exaggerating. If you drug your hand across nearly any body panel it made a scraping sound just like sandpaper.

I spent about 45min clay baring the car to clean off all of the gunk. It turns out I missed a few spots but that is easy enough to fix.

I applied Z-AIO but since it was late in the day I didn't get to see the results. I wiped the residue off later that night in the garage. I'm hoping to see nice results today. I will not be able to apply a coat of Z-5 until this weekend.

The take home message? Clay bar it despite it being new paint. I've only had one brand new car that didn't really need it (2005 Prius). All of my other cars needed it bad. :)

7. Levelheadsteve

Levelheadsteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased the Zaino show car kit several years ago and used it consistently on my Tahoe and G35. I couldn't tell a damn bit of difference between it and any other wax I have used (except for my wallet being lighter). Of course, if you pay $100 for wax, clay bars and other car care products, you will probably be motivated to spend a lot more time working on the finish of your car and maybe get better results because of it.

Honestly though, I think a decent $10 bottle of polish from Walmart is going to give you close to, if not the same results. I currently use one of the Meguiar's liquid waxes on my BMW X3 and it looks great.

8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I completely agree. Top line Meguiar stuff gives the same results ... at $85-90 cheaper.

Properly clay barring an undamgaged car has more to do with excellent results than the brand name of the final wax or sealant applied, and I have all the equipment to do the job right. Porter Cable 7424, all the different pads for each purpose, all the dedicated polishes, compounds, and sealants ... etc, etc. A good finish takes more than writing a big check for a big name product and then using it ... it takes understanding paints and finishes and knowing which products to use for what purposes. Ask any professional detailer .... NONE of them use the big-buck names because it's simply not necessary and provides no better protection than any of the other top brands at 1/10th the price of the boutique brands.

REV

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW you can buy a bottle of Z-AIO for $23 and be done. Claiming that Zaino costs $95-$100 is very misleading. If you want to buy a complete system then you can spend $75 or more but that includes pads, cleaner polish, polish, and 2 bottles of car wash. Go buy all of those items by Meguiar's and you'll pay a similar price.

So in truth the price difference for a single bottle of all in one polish is only about $15 and you'll use a lot more of the cheaper stuff than the Z-AIO.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with you with one caveat. Some of us purchase the more expensive stuff because it is easier to apply, remove, or doesn't leave residue compared to many of the cheaper brands. Some people just purchase what they hear works rather than wasting money and time trying stuff until they fine something they like. Both you and I have been there done that. :D

11. VSUIRP

VSUIRP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    REALLY? perhaps your memory is failing, or perhaps the wrong Zaino was used or applied incorrectly. You HAVE to put layers of Zaino on the more layers the better the depth of shine.

First off, Wax (and I don't care how good it is) yellows with time. Three months and the wax has yellowed if it is still even on the paint. Zaino will last a full year if done correctly.
    2. You don't need to rub Zaino like you do with wax, just wipe on, let sit and wipe off.
    3. Get wax on your black plastic and it leaves a white residue that is hard to remove.
    4 an ounce of Zaino will cover the entire car.
    5. The depth of shine increases with each layer of Zaino. You can't really layer wax because it has solvents in it that actually remove the layer you are applying it on.
    6. You can leave Zaino on overnight (if you had to). Try that with wax and you would never be able to remove it.

I could go on and on, but I'm tired. I have been using Zaino for 12 years now on numerous cars. I have been 'waxing' my own cars for almost 40 years and nothing for the price and the effort to apply and remove comes close.

You will not get the same protection, shine and ease of use from any wax purchased at your local auto parts store or retail chain.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Protection/longevity and ease of use, not shine, is Zaino's claim to fame. In fact, many waxes beat Zaino in the depth department, but whereas Zaino will provide months of protection most waxes/glazes will wear off after a couple car washes. On hot days waxes will simply evaporate.

I doubt it's actually more expensive as you use so little of it compared to $10 bottle of polish, so it'd be better to compare cost per application.

13. Levelheadsteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, really. And you don't have to be rude by suggesting that my memory is failing just because I don't agree with your opinion. I used the activator properly and followed all of their steps to get three layers on my Tahoe. It looked no better than any other modern wax I've ever used.

My buddy has a 67 Vette that he wins shows with. He does not use Zaino wax. My dad has shown his 99 corvette at a few shows and has won before as well. No Zaino. If they thought Zaino would give them an advantage, they would use it.

You will get the same protection, shine and ease of use from nearly any liquid wax at your local auto parts store or retail chain without having to apply multiple layers.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Up to a point until the wax wears off, whereas Zaino will still be going strong.

15. Levelheadsteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Says you!:) I'm just giving you a hard time. If you are happy with the Zaino, that's great. Ever since trying Zaino on two vehicles for a year, I switched back to regular store bought wax. I have never had a problem with the application, protection or shine and I'm very happy with the way my vehicles look.

1 person likes this.
  16. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry about that ... I was just using the numbers that somebody gave. If that was for a whole kit ... OK ... I thought it was just for the two products. :D

REV

17. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same credentials as you :D ... and quite simply ... I totally disagree and have never found that to be the case. Almost ALL the waxes and sealants these days go on and off very easily. Of course some are easier than others.

REV

18. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah ... the whole multiple layers thing is what I object to. Put multiple layers of ANY sealant on and you get longer lasting results. I polish/wax/seal my car for protection first ... looks second. And I'm NOT doing it 3 times .... PERIOD.

REV

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No worries. I was slightly wrong as well. The all-in-one product, Z-AIO is $26.95. It's expensive but still a far cry from $85+. :)

Z-AIO All-in-one: Zaino Store

The biggest draw for me on a new car is shine and longevity of product. I have tried all sorts of waxes and polishes that are readily available, i.e. the $10 all-in-one products, and none lasted as long as the Zaino products. I'm not attempting to say that Zaino is the end all be all. I know better than that. It simply works so well for many of us that we keep coming back.

For older cars there is always a bottle of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and Meguiar's Rubbing Compound in the cupboard. :D

20. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love their 'Ultimate Compound'. I use it on my wife's 05 Corolla S in super White, and the only way to keep that car 'unstained' is to use the UC every time. It's just old, well-worn, white, 156,000 mile paint.

I'm tempted to get it repainted, as the car is pretty much 'like new' otherwise. A good repaint is just too expensive though.

REV