1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“CLEANEST DIESEL TECHNOLOGY IN THE WORLD,â€

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Areometer, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    SEMA eNews, Vol. 9, No. 4 - January 25, 2006

“CLEANEST DIESEL TECHNOLOGY IN THE WORLD,†SAYS MERCEDES-BENZ

Mercedes-Benz introduced its latest diesel technology at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. According to the automaker, the BLUETEC system is the “cleanest diesel technology in the world, and will provide high torque and pulling power even at low engine speeds, impressive range and economic efficiency."

Diesel drivetrains currently account for more than 50% of the European market, and are rising in popularity in the United States. The first BLUETEC vehicles available to U.S. consumers will be the E 320 BLUETEC models, due for launch in fall 2006. Mercedes-Benz also introduced a GL 320 BLUETEC model, but it is unclear when it will be available in the United States. The 320 BLUETEC is a V6 diesel engine developing 211 hp. The expected fuel consumption from this engine is 25 MPG for the GL 320 BLUETEC, and 35 MPG for the E 320 BLUETEC.

Source: DaimlerChrysler

>> Original Link

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I see VW has agreed to provide warranty for the use of B5, 5% bio-diesel. Go over 5% and your warranty is cancelled. Thats' considerate of them. What's Merc's stance on bio-diesel? The same or less?

3. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

This is great news from Mercedes Benz. Personally, I think Diesel Hybrid technology is really the way to go. One area where Hybrids truly shine is reducing pollution, and the one area where diesels shine is fuel efficiency. Mix the two together, and you can have a fairly low polluting very high MPG vehicle. Make the vehicle a "plug-in" hybrid, and man what a great car!

If you don't believe me, Google "Ford Reflex". Ford came out with a concept diesel electric hybid that not only looks sweet, but also has 0-60 times of approximately 6.5 seconds and gets 65 mpg!

There is some real potential here. I'd be more then happy to buy a car that is just ULEV or SULEV if it could get me 65 MPG and 0-60 speeds of less then 10 seconds. To me the big question is whether or not the American consumer can overcome it's preconcieved notions about diesel based on what we remember from the 1980's.

Peace,
    Cosmo

4. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Weird. In Germany they have been built to be compliant for 100% rape-methyl-ester (basically biodiesel) use for years. A lot of owners run them on 100% straight vegetable oil through the summer months.

5. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

The E320 will be my next car ....

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    80s? Try this morning. Diesel is the worst pollution to get farted out of the backside of a vehicle ever. 19th century technology is the way to go if you want to go back in time. If it's really an improvement they'd be putting it on tractor trailer rigs, buses and other heavy machinery, the ones who do all of the real polluting, not on expensive cars that only a few can afford.

7. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    JackDodge and other diesel-doubters, you should come over here to Europe and check out how much improved diesel tech is over here. About half of our passenger cars and all of our trucks / vans etc are diesel powered, but it's all with modern diesel tech (ie a lot more advanced than what you have in the States). I've spent time in plenty of European and US cities and in my opinion, despite our greatly increased use of diesel, the air is still cleaner in the European cities!

8. Cosmo

Cosmo New Member

Uh, I think the point is that if a diesel engine is 50 state compliant, or even SULEV or PZEV, it's just as clean as gasoline. Add in an extra 20-30% energy density, and you get a car just as clean as gasoline, with better MPG. I think your comment just proves what I was trying to say: that most Americans may be unwilling to dismiss their preconcieved notions about this fuel. I'll just mention again that I think a Diesel-Electric hybrid with plug in capability would be a fabulous vehicle. That is, if it could be even reasonably affordable...

Peace,
    Cosmo

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I'm not an engineer, but I understand there are problems with the high-compression diesel shutting itself off and re-starting repeatedly in a hybrid configuration; that it's too "violent" to be "seamless". Is that the main problem?

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That diesel emits particulate pollution isn't a preconceived notion, it's a fact. You don't have a clue about how this country operates on a pragmatic level and you don't understand how much the law of unintended consequences affects it.

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Hi Clett,

The air may be cleaner, but it is not due to diesel use in vehicles, it would be despite it's use. Just take a look at Euro IV emissions standards compared to US federal Tier II, Bin 5.