1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“The external system is not connectedâ€

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by phc, May 6, 2009.

1. phc

phc New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello fellow hybrid owners.

The following message has appeared in two of my hybrid cars within a day of each other. One is a 05 Prius and the other is a 06 Highlander.:(

“The external system is not connectedâ€

No:
    Navigation, climate control, trip information and the radio is out in the Prius.

Has anyone here ever have this same problem?:confused:

And what was your fix.

Thanks for any and all help with this.

phc

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like an MFD failure; interesting that this happened on both of your vehicles at the same time. The fix is to have the MFD replaced, however if your 3 year/36K mile warranty has passed then you might want to ask for a remanufactured unit to be installed (as a new unit will cost well into 4 digits.) Or, contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center to see whether they can offer financial assistance on the repair.

3. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

I had this exact problem on my '05. The culprit was the "dice" unit Ipod/HD radio add-on. If you have one of these I believe all I did to fix it was unplug the dice unit and then plug it back in. If you do have the dice, you may want to search the forum and see if there is a more exact procedure for the fix. Oddly the problem appeared after a visit to the dealer to get the coolant pump replaced.

Good luck.