1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

‘08 Prius - VSC light on, Fob doesn’t work, Navi and Audio says NCON

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tatiana, Jan 1, 2023.

1. tatiana

tatiana New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! this is my first time on here and i’m totally lost on what the problem could be. I’ve checked the fuses but i’m not sure what else i could do. is there anything else i should try before i take it to a shop?

Attached Files:

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat.

Is this car new to you, if not how long have you owned it? How many miles are on the odometer?

Those three things are not connected, they are three separate issues.

What is your level of knowledge and experience with cars?

The first issue of the VSC light being on means that there is (at least) a code stored in the ABS/VSC/TRAC ECU(s). You at least need to scan that/those ECU/ECUs to retrieve the code(s). After that, you will have a better idea of what direction to go. If you go to an auto-parts store that does free scans and they tell you there are no codes, thank them very much for their non-useful service and try another store. The code reader they used was not good enough to scan all the Prius computers (there are 11-14 of them in a Gen 2). You need to find a store that has a Prius-capable scanner. If you want to get a scanner so you are self-reliant, have a read of this thread where various scan tools are discussed. You can find pinned near the top of the Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion forum.

For the 'fob does not work' can you describe this more? Is this a fob with a silver logo on the back? If it is, there is a "Key" button under the steering wheel; this needs to be in the 'out' position for the SKS to be enabled. Is it?

The NAVI and AUDIO NCON means they are not connected. Any chance someone has pulled out the head unit and disconnected any of the connectors. Is there a Nav unit under the LH seat? If there is, are all the connectors plugged in?

BTW, your posts are moderated which means we cannot see your posts until a moderator has approved them. An idea might be to peruse several other threads and make a relevant comment to that thread (and not just post this same question in multiple threads) to get your post count up to 5 or more.

#2 dolj, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ABS, VSC, and TRAC are all the responsibility of one ECU. Toyota calls it the "skid ECU" but in fact it does all of those things as well as the electronically-controlled braking (ECB, the ((!)) light in US cars).

And a nice thing about that ECU is that whenever it lights any of those corresponding warning lights, even if you do not have a scan tool, you can get the trouble codes just by counting some light blinks, as described on this wiki page:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Any time that more than one thing has a warning light come on or suddenly isn't working right.......
    You should always check the 12 V battery (system) first.

If you don't know what that means, then you need a shop visit.