1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured ‘Wawa On Steroids': CEO Reveals New Details for Planned Travel Centers

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Link: NBC10 Philadelphia

Wawa to build huge new travel centers "...to close the gap in Wawa outposts between its Mid-Atlantic and Florida markets. This will offer long-distance travelers more options for where to refuel or grab a snack."

CTRL-F "charge" >0 results<

I know it's a pretty minor news release but nothing at all in there about charging stations? I don't know whether to read that as they don't plan any, or they just didn't feel like mentioning them.

My familiar experience with local Wawa stations is that they are trying to get the customers through their transactions and out the door in minutes if not seconds. I suspect they aren't building parking spaces for those "with four hours to kill" as the Lexus joke goes. Other than a dude with his mobility scooter plugged in in place of the outdoor ice chest, I've never seen EV charging at Wawa.

Anyone know more details on their plans?

#1 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    PriusCamper likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Gotta keep up with the Jones.
    Think Buc-ees.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've stopped at a Wawa along the I95 corridor that had Superchargers, and another installing them.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Orlando Wawa: nothing in the parking lot but Leadfoot J. McCoalrollers

B9132D5B-9321-4504-9020-DD25E58220FC.jpeg

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Looks just like the (massive) pay park-n-ride at the skytrain station here. :rolleyes:

It's like a ghost town, any weekday. For a while they converted it to a drive-thru* COVID vaccination tent encampment.

* walk-ins tolerated

Attached Files:

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nothing like people heavily investing in new gas stations... Kinda like wondering if they can hire more musicians to play music as the Titanic is sinking.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    People aren't going to stop driving cars anytime soon. Going electric doesn't negate the need for food or biobreaks.

"Planning for the travel centers comes as the company is also looking to expand its electric vehicle charging. Gheysens said he believes that the adoption of electric vehicles will take longer than originally projected, but that Wawa is making preparations to be able to pivot to a greater electric vehicle focus when the demand arises.

Wawa is Tesla's No. 1 partner in North America, with 115 locations offering Tesla charging stations and other "open-architecture charging," according to Gheysens. He added that the company's travel centers will also provide an opportunity to shift further into that market to accommodate long-haul travelers with electric vehicles. "
    https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2023/01/17/wawa-opening-travel-centers-across-markets.html

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The point being is that the long term investment/borrowing of tens of millions of dollars to build new gas stations to capture market share is not going to be a wise investment when you look back on it 2 or 3 decades from now. Just because fossil fool misinformation & climate denialism is thriving right now and the people running international climate forums are oil companies who think they've finally solved global warming with brute force aggression, criminally dishonest advertising and bribery it doesn't mean that all their plans for massive growth are going to thrive. The consequences for all of us, especially younger generations is going to eventually lead to massive blowback on fossil fool investments! When it comes to billions of people carrying torches and pitchforks, every leader at the top of the fossil fool mafia is going to be seen as more evil than any mass murdering genocidal leader has ever been seen as.

#8 PriusCamper, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So the people buying EVs now aren't taking road trips?

Wawa started as a dairy that expanded into convenience stores. Many of those stores don't have gas pumps to this day; those came later.

People that grew up with Wawa retired and moved South. Demand down there eventually got Wawa to open stores. The people weren't clamoring for Wawa gas, but their milk and subs.

These travel centers are for the Wawa fans traveling between the companies two market areas. Yes, they'll have gas pumps. While Wawa leadership has expressed doubts about EV adoption rates, they are planning on charging stalls being needed at these travel centers.

Unless Americans start giving up their cars, and the air and rail travel options can support this movement, there is going to be a demand for these travel centers in the future. Whether they have gas pumps or charger stalls.

10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... The whole point of OP was wondering what their charging station investments were going to be because they weren't clearly stated... But that makes sense if you're trying to leverage the village idiots selling you fossil fools storage facilities/pumps because your long term plan based on data & logic doesn't include them. And if there's ever an industry more worthy of being sucker punched right now, it's fossil fools industry. Of course in reality it's the exact opposite of that right now! Which also explains how upset and kneejerk I am about it all...

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This was the perspective I was hoping to find.

I've only lived in Pennsylvania for 15 years, so for me Wawa has always been a gas-n-convenience store not unlike AM-PM, Quik-Trip, Cumberland Farms, TigerMart, Circle K, or 7-11 just to cover a few other examples from around the USA.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In Dixie, we have a new comer: Home - Buc-ees
    upload_2023-1-22_7-9-41.png

I've visited three and the first two had Tesla Superchargers and the third is open but still under construction.

Bob Wilson

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The OP article was a copy and paste of the first few paragraphs of another article. It simply left out what the charger plan was. Granted, they didn't announce specifics, but Wawa started putting in chargers over 5 years ago.
    Allentown Wawa becomes 100th store to open EV charging station | Lehigh Valley Regional News | wfmz.com

As for the foolishness of building gas stations, how do you expect a person with a Prius Prime to get from New York to Florida? The new ones sold this year will likely still be on the road in 2033.

I know 7-11 didn't start with gas. Gas stations with a store that was more than a kiosk, with restrooms entered from the inside, were rare when I was a child.

14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Have at least new 3 gas stations going up in my small (30k) but expanding town. Circle-K among them. Smaller stations that were gas only closing. Land to expensive.