1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“Miles to Pump” gauge is not reseting when fuel is added

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lovingleigh, Jan 7, 2018.

1. lovingleigh

lovingleigh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 model prius and recently when I filled up my tank my mile until empty gauge did not reset. My car was pushing the limit of until the fuel ran out as estimated (I believe it was 18mi until empty) and i stopped and went to add some gas. However the station I was at barely had any gas left and only got to fill it up 2.5 gallons. I had heard the minimum reset value for it to reset was 2 or 3 gallons. Today however I completely filled up my gas tank and the gauge did not reset it still says I have “0 miles to pump”.
    I was wondering if theres anything I can do to fix it? I find the miles to pump gaugr very useful as I often drive 3/4 hours home every other week and the trip is along a very sparsely populated route. Likewise, my father really doesnt want to take it to get it fixed over a small thing so im hoping if theres a way I can do it myself?
    FYI i know very little about cars! Apologies

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • How much does the gas gauge show?
    • How many gallons did you end up putting in when you filled it up?
    • How many miles on your Prius?
    • Original owner or how long have you owned your Prius?
    • Any other recent issues?
    Keep us posted (y).

bisco likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've never heard of a gas station running out of gas like that. Could this be a fillup problem, somehow?

I only watch the gas gauge (the basic gauge that shows rough indication of gas in the tank), fill up before it gets remotely close to low, and never pay that miles-to-empty gauge any mind.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Run it down to half and then fill again.
    If that doesn't fix the problem.............either take it in OR stop using that as your trigger to fill up.

I.E. You should never start out on a long trip without it being full. ("Stuff" happens.)
    And you should start thinking about getting gas when the gauge shows 1/4 tank left.

Both the females in my family used to have a habit of running near to empty before filling.
    After both of them managed to run completely OUT..........they have changed their habits. (y)