1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“Tiny Prius Battery” - Reconditioning modules on-the-go (work etc)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by landspeed, May 17, 2021.

1. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

So, I made this. Has anyone else ever done this? It looks so cute and ‘dinky’. Basically I took it to work and had it running on my hobby charger one module at a time at work today, and will swap out the 5’cells after cycling / charging up to 8.4 volts and leaving for 24 hours before releasing the pressure.

Anyway it seems silly but if anyone wants to work on spare cells one at a time, it is a way to keep them from expanding, and you don’t need to drag the whole pack into the house in winter and get yelled at by your wife or whoever :)

Attached Files:

2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    landspeed likes this.
  3. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

My Gen1 has Gen2 cells. It will be my daily driver soon! I will keep a high capacity 12v battery that I have, connected to the standard 12v battery.

I built a whole battery for the Gen 1 from two Gen2 batteries. One was legit with 2 dead modules, the other is an actual Frankenstein battery. I tested the modules over a few weekends, rejected the ones with dead cells. Then I charged all to 8.4 volts at 3 amps, 2, 1, 0.5, 0.2 amps. Then after the rebuild I matched the voltages manually. Then I ran the car for a few miles, then I balanced the battery a module at a time, as it was out of balance.

Since then it had been fine, but I am going to need to whack a lot of moles.

The reality is that ‘whack a mole’ is actually avoidable, even with a Frankenstein battery, if you use ‘enhanced car sympathy’. I think. But - I need to get live data from the car to my phone or tablet - watching the max, min block voltages will allow ‘whack a mole’ to be avoided (and more importantly should prevent weak cells being reversed for 1 second and thus being destroyed).

Lithium does sound good; I’ve left my Nissan Leaf with my friend in the South (in NZ, south == colder weather). The car is driven fairly regularly, it prevents a lot of short journeys, and reduces battery degradation). A Leaf battery can take currents above a Prius NiMH (more accurately, it takes higher regen currents although that probably helps kill it even faster).

tangerino likes this.
  4. MarkySparky

MarkySparky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks like a great idea! I may just try that!