1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

0 to 60 in 5 seconds ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by paulshikleejr, Nov 26, 2009.

1. paulshikleejr

paulshikleejr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If a thread on this topic already exists, please post citations. (Quick reviews of searches on "drag," "off the line," "acceleration," and "racing" did not reveal an applicable topic.)

I want to discuss making a Prius that will embarrass Camaros and Mustangs at stoplights. Not a "racing" or "autocross" or "rallycross" or "touring car racer" Prius: simply a drop-jaw sprinter (one with a butt-kicking "60 to 90" time would also be excellent).

Is making such a thing possible?

Unfortunately, I'm in no way any kind of technician, but it seems to me that the lag of an appropriately sized turbocharger disqualifies same. NOS might work, as might a supercharger, but on such a tiny engine, would the little bit of extra power actually mean anything?

One thing I've heard tale of that sounds interesting is a high-current, fast-dumping additional/auxilliary battery. Does that seem like something that could work? If so, does such a thing exist? Integration issues? How close will it get to the "0 to 60 in 5 seconds" target?

If a turbocharger, supercharger, or NOS is the way to go, how close will any get to the "0 to 60 in 5 seconds" target?

If none of these could work, is there another way to get to the "0 to 60 in 5 seconds" target?

Thank you for your thoughts.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a GS450h. It does 60 in 5ish and ¼ mile in 14

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt a streetable Prius can be made to do 0 to 60 in 5 seconds.
    I have found articles that discuss Supercharging a (Gen I) Prius and Turbocharging the same Prius, but the owner found that he got more duration of full power, not more instianious power.

As I understand it, the amount of torque the electric motor (MG2) can produce can endanger the drivetrain, so the computers limit the torque artifically. Trying to add more torque will also be so limited. As speed increases, the motor produces less torque, so you can add horsepower, but by then you are already not going to get 5 seconds.

I have a great deal of respect for the Power Split Device, but it was not designed for more torque than the Prius produces stock. (Adding high end horsepower will not risk the PSD, but that would help top speed, not 0 to 60)

1 person likes this.
  4. Visionquest

Visionquest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need to make some major changes to the hybrid motor in the Prius to achieve this. The amount of engineering changes from motor, suspension, steering and tires, would make this a stupid costly project. If you were able to hot rod the engine, and amp up the electrical motor, both would likely fail quickly to heat or to much compression.

Your idea of high-current battery might work, but I think your talking about the addition of capacitance to the system. With some reprogramming of the electric motor controls, disabling the traction control, enough tires, and making the ECE full time, you might be able to get that kind of acceleration. But like I said the electric motor or the transmission would likely fail quickly. A Tesla might be a cheaper way to get it.

1 person likes this.
  5. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds to me that if the drive-train can't handle any more torque without damage, then one option might be to add wheel-hub motors to the rear wheels and an additional motor controller and larger battery pack. (or separate battery pack) You'd be looking at a cost of around $10,000 for such a mod, and I somehow doubt you'd be able to get down to that 5-second figure.. but you might get 6 or 7 seconds..

1 person likes this.
  6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some cars should not be tinkered with for speed as it is both very costly, possibly damaging, very little reutn in HP/TQ and defeats the purposeful design of the car in the first place......

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, it sounds to me that the idea of making a 1/4 mile Prius is like taking the Space Shuttle and using it as a commercial airliner. It's just not designed for that.

On the other hand, an all-electric EV (electric vehicle) will blow any conventional car off the track without batting an eye. All you need to do is hit YouTube and search for EV Racing for evidence. Here's one:

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

A stock Prius drive-train configuration will never accellerate zero-60 in 5 seconds. The only way to embaras Mustangs and Camaros is to hypermile into a light at 30 mph as it goes green, while they are dead stopped after red-light-racing to it. This rarely happens, but it does on occaision.

If you want to reconfigure the Prius drive train to have quicker accelleration, one way might be to put in 4 wheel motors in place of MG2. Of course this requires a total redesign of the transmission. But this way, the PSD would not be a torque bottleneck, and drive shafts will only be used for regeneration and engine torque.

One possible reconfiguration with 4 wheel motors would be to change the transmission to make the present 60 hp MG2 into a 60 HP MG1 and get rid of the present MG1. Then with more engine power, and the ability for the engine to scream at low speed, the 4 MG2's would deliver allot of accelleration.

Following on with this concept, the MG1 inverter could be used for an electric super charger.

Of course the hybrid batteries for this concept would need to be allot bigger than a stock Prius.

The disadvantage of this is a very rough ride, and possible poor road holding on rough pavement. As the wheel motors will be very heavy compared to brakes and a wheel. Bigger dampers will most likely be needed. But of course this reduces the time constant of the wheel motion, and gives it less ability to follow variations in the road.

1 person likes this.
  9. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow. Might bring a whole new meaning to the PWR button on my console if I could get this kind of PHEV conversion!!!