1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

01-03 Prius muffler for sale

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by mjmirra, Aug 3, 2009.

1. mjmirra

mjmirra New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I bought an extra muffler for my prius and i never used it. Its like brand new. I coated it with heat resistant rustproof paint. I sold the car so i have no need for it anymore. $100.00 dollars takes it. Call 315-317-6161 I also have the rest of the exhaust system with catalytic converter.... $350.00 for everything

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I want to say that I am glad you have made these offers here, and if I were in need, I would certainly be talking to you.

After long confusion, finally perhaps understanding the EPA rule on aftermarket and used cats:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

It seems to me that installing a used one is a violation of the letter of the law, because the used one has not been certified to work as designed. Yes I understand that it did work on the previous car, but we are talking about the letter of the law.

If Prius does not get the signals it likes from the O2 sensors I am sure it would at least complain. Therefore, in practice, somebody is not going to be polluting with a Prius (for long) even if the used parts don't work.

But, unless one does the installation privately, you are going to be talking to someone who has (or should have) read the doc linked above.

Kind of a shame, because the NHW11 cat with the HC adsorber shell has a valve that can fail early (especially in salty winters). Leaves the owners more or less at the mercy of the Toyota (new) parts supplier.