1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

01 battery failure: keep it or get rid of it? drive it or not?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jetsonj, Jun 11, 2011.

1. jetsonj

jetsonj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, my 2001 Prius hybrid battery has just failed at 150,000 miles. It's barely drivable. Can the battery overheat if I continue to drive it until I get another car? I noticed a fan going in the battery area. Would an overheated battery failure be a small, managable melting type of failure or a larger, explosive type of failure? I'm trying to figure out whether to drive it until I get another car, or just go and rent something right now.

Also is there any reason to keep it? It needs more work than the blue book value:
    -a hybrid battery at about $2300 from Luscious in SF
    -a timing belt at over $200
    -rear wheel bearings at over $400
    -a repair to a leaking AC at over $400
    -a new radio at over $600 if OEM
    -a repair to a venting flap at over $200 to get at it, if I even repair this
    -a repair to the front body that may be covered by insurance at over $1500
    -two front tires at ?? each
    -a lot of the touchscreen is not functional, due to a short in the radio. I had them disconnect the radio and whatever else they needed to in order to get it drivable without the radio.

It's worth $3190 in fair condition, but the current condition is poor. Doesn't seem worth it to keep it. How can I get any money at all for it? Does anyone buy these for parts?

-Judy

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think the battery will overheat to the point where the car will have a fire. More likely, the battery will die and you will be stranded.

I agree that it does not make sense to repair the car given the long list of deferred repairs that are required. (However, note that the Prius engine has a timing chain, not a timing belt. The chain rarely requires replacement.)

You might check with a local salvage yard to see what they will pay you for the car. Good luck.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's a guy in Healdsburg that does Gen I batteries out of Gen II modules for $1600. That is about as cheap as it comes.

Who told you that you needed a timing belt and rear wheel bearings?

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Jet, Luscious or Art's in Oakland might work with others to get you a rebuilt battery for -700 cf. your number. The other repairs you mention sound 'discussable', except I would prefer a driven car to have adequate tires ($100-200 the pair). Especially the front pair!

5. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats a lot of repairs, for sure. You should be able to get it all done for a lot less than the prices you mention. Used parts for the radio and touch screen. Used or rebuilt battery. Used rear stub axles. There is no timing belt, maybe its the accessory belt it needs. All of this stuff is easily available.

To answer you other questions: Don't expect meltdown of explosions, just expect the car to stop running. Yes, the car has value for parts. People like me buy them every month.

If you can put it running order it will be worth more.

As for the reason to keep it, Only if you really like it and don't want to let it go or you don't want the hassle of finding another car.

Eric

6. djjamar

djjamar New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guy in LA fix batteries on Gen 1 for $700

7. wooac

wooac New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How reliable are these reconditioned batteries?

8. w4y

w4y Junior Member

Do you have more details?

9. TLC2011

TLC2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of batteries... Are the 12v batteries that you cannot get from your local auto store really expensive? I guess I have to get it from my dealer who moved 60+ miles away?

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    TLC, the orignal 12-volt battery comes with a venting tube. Suitable replacements with tube are about $100. If you (excitingly) decide to forgo the tube, it could be $50 maybe a bit less.

The stock original battery from any Toyota shop should be about $150.