1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'01 Prius flashing gas gauge

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Belkorin, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Belkorin

Belkorin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 01 Prius with 190000 or so miles on it, that has been working great since I got it in August of this year. The only problem that I've had with it is that I had to change the 12v battery a few months ago. After I filled up my gas tank (after it had been at one flashing bar) last night the gas gauge displays a full, flashing gauge, and I've driven more than enough miles that it should have gone down, but it just stays there, flashing mysteriously at me. I searched the forums here and found one note about a gen 2 with a flashing gas gauge, which one poster pointed out was an indication of some kind of network failure. Is this what it indicates on the gen 1 as well, or does it mean something else?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a weird one.

I suggest that you disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal connector for several minutes. While power is off, check the positive terminal connector to make sure the hardware is secure. Then when you replace the negative side, check tightness of the negative terminal connector as well as the connection to the body.

If the gauge continues to flash, that implies some sort of communication error - but it's not clear what you can do about it other than replace the combination meter.

3. Belkorin

Belkorin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Worked like a charm. No more flashing gas gauge, and the fuel level is at right about where I expect it to be. Thanks!