1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'01 Prius System Upgrades

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bigtruc, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Bigtruc

Bigtruc New Member

I've recently purchased a 2001 Prius as a daily driver.
    The mpg justified the purchase compared to feeding my other V8 vehicles that get 15 mpg on my 100+ mile daily commute.

Is there an aftermarket or factory nav system that can be installed. All the buttons are on the dash, and the display shows "External system not connected" when you try to use them.

Also, has anyone else had a problem where the audio system just goes mute?

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

For a 2001? I thought NAV option was only available on 2003 for the classics.

I think someone mentioned the NAV ecu was supposed to be under the passenger seat on the classic. See if there is a cut or unplugged harness there.

Looking at the 2003 wiring diagram (I obtained it for comparisons), it does seem to be in that spot, though 3D sketches in 2D space are misleading.

3. xevious

xevious New Member

Buttons for the navigation system were standard equipment on all of the classics (2000.5 - 2003). The navigation system itself, finally introduced in 2002, was optional, which means that the majority of classic Prius on the road have a couple of useless buttons that, when pressed, give the "External system not connected" message.

If present, the navigation system and DVD-ROM drive are located under the passenger seat.

Adding a factory navigation system is possible, but the high cost ($2500 or so for the parts) and difficulty of installation make portable GPS systems a more reasonable alternative.

I've not heard of the audio system unexpectedly muting. Can you be more specific? When does it happen, and what patterns have you noticed?

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I seem to recall that the Prius Classic audio had some troubles. The tread was on the Yahoo Prius chat group. Some thing to do with the radio and some connector but don't hold me too it. It was a long time ago but I'm sure if you posted the question on Yahoo one of the oldtimers will have the answer.

5. virtuous

virtuous New Member

My radio began going off and on intermittently for no apparent reason. After going in and out several times (which at first sounded like the radio station might be having problems) it would stay off. I eventually figured out I could bring it back by simply pressing the "power" button. This was followed quickly by other failures of the computer screen which showed up on the (intermittently unresponsive) touchscreen. Toyota eventually diagnosed this as a faulty touchscreen and replaced it at their cost. They put me in a free rental car while they did it. Everything seems to work fine now. This is why I am a Toyota evangelist.

6. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is yours a 2nd generation? This is a fix, replacing MFD on those.
    I only found 2 TSB's on radio problems, Frank. One is a replacement Audio Control Knob on 02 models. The other is about the CD harness causing various problems. A certain way to know if this is it, check if the cassette eject button works. This fault happens 100% of the time with thhis problem. I also remember replacing the center panel a few times for inoperative button ( one of the right hand buttons ) , but can't locate the information right now.

7. Bigtruc

Bigtruc New Member

Cool...I have a car thats a classic. Not exactly a 57 chevy, but hey.

I think for the cost I'll go with a GPS unit for my Pocket PC.

I'm guessing the radio problem is a faulty connection somewhere. I haven't been able to pin down a pattern to when it goes out. Sometimes just sittine still it will quit. But if I smack the right hand side of the console it comes back.

Maybe I'll leave it that way...makes me feel like The Fonz.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

that was it Rick the connector for the CD player. Thanks for booting my memory module.

9. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"79167)</div>
    No problem. I never try to remember everything but try to remember where to find it. Now to figure out what to do with all the notes I wrote that are starting to pile up in my lunch box, :lol:

10. gippah

gippah New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xevious @ Apr 5 2005, 11:26 PM) [snapback]78931[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think this is true. Yes, my 2001 Prius has the buttons for the Navigation System and I don't have it installed.

However, there has been someone on Ebay trying to sell the manual for the 2001 Navigation System for a few months now. Although it's possible that Toyota published a manual for the 2001 Navigation System but never the Navigation System itself, it's highly doubtful.

Remember that the CD player was also "not available" (wink wink) in the 2001-2002 Prius, but many of us have factory-installed CD players from those years too.