1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'02 Prius stopped working after replacing Tires

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by StarOrc, Jan 25, 2010.

1. StarOrc

StarOrc New Member

I had a flat, no big deal. I brought the car to a Town Fair Tire and got both rear tires replaced and after they worked on the car they had trouble getting the car to start. They tried to jump it without speaking with me and when they finally got me the Red Triangle was showing up and the engine sounded like it was clogging up.

I got a tow home and had my father-in-law scan for the Trouble Codes and got these:

P3115
    P0300

I had a similar problem over a year and a half ago and after I brought it to a dealership. The first one told me to replace the ECU, but the second dealer told me they were 99% sure replacing the Spark Plugs would take care of it. It did and the car has been fine since. I was wondering if its possible that thats the problem again or if its something more. Also is it possible that Town Fair Tire screwed my car up?

Thanks

Corey

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They probably left it powered up on the lift and in neutral so
    it couldn't recharge, or something equally naive. Did they
    wash it while you were there? They could have blasted water
    down into the spark wells or something..
    _H*

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3115 is HV Battery Current Sensor Malfunction.
    DTC P0300 is Random Engine Misfire.

I'd suggest that you disconnect the 12 auxiliary battery and charge it up, if it is low (or if the battery is old enough, buy a new one now.) Regarding the engine misfire, since the spark plugs were replaced last year, try cleaning the throttle body and throttle plate (without getting throttle body cleaner on the MAF sensor.)

Then reconnect the battery and see if the car will start.

If not, and if the DTC logged remain the same, you'll probably need dealer help to deal with P3115.

4. StarOrc

StarOrc New Member

When I got the car home it did start, but the engine didn't sound right and the car didn't really want to move. When this happened and I shifted out of Park I got a warning that the car won't charge in Neutral. Could this mean anything?

Sorry I didn't include this before.

Thanks again, I'll try the stuff you suggested tomorrow as its too dark now and I'll get back to you.

Corey

5. StarOrc

StarOrc New Member

So we tried disconnecting the battery and charging it and we checked the plugs just to make sure and everything seems to be working fine now.

While we were looking at the car I realized that I also forgot to mention that it was raining pretty bad yesterday and that we had something like 40MPH winds. Could these have anything to do with it?

Thanks a lot.

Corey

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If water dripped on the engine valve cover and some moisture got into the spark plug wells, that would cause engine misfire. Or, a weak battery might cause spurious DTC.

Anyway, sounds like your car is back to normal now. If you have a repeat incident, I suggest you replace the 12V battery if it is old.