1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

02 Prius Triangle Code, Needs new Inverter, what to do?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by nsn1013, Jul 22, 2010.

1. nsn1013

nsn1013 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been a proud owner of my 02 Prius. Yep, I'm one of the few who were fans even in the early 2000s.
    Unfortunately, last week the triangle of doom showed up. Long story short, I need a new inverter and the Toyota dealership is quoting 4k including labor.

Should I get it fixed? Or should I sell it or its parts, what would that command these days? Is there a market for old Prius cars that ppl can tinker with? Great car, brakes, & I replaced all 4 tires in March and it still has the valid carpool sticker for CA.

I'm probably looking to getting a new car, but don't have the $ to replace it. Any advice would be appreciated, especially with how to sell the Prius or its parts.

Neil

2. jk450

jk450 New Member

This issue is often subject to misdiagnosis. What were the symptoms, and did the shop give you the three-digit code as well as the trouble code (presumably P3125)?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are close enough to get a second opinion:

• Art's Automotive, 510-540-7093
    • Luscious Garage, 415-875-9030
    Give one or both a call and ask their advice. I suspect you'll find a better price.

Ask the two shops but my general rule is if you aren't able to do it yourself or have a good, 3d party option, it is really expen$ive to keep an older car running.

If you are willing the take the parts off, would you consider getting the parts and putting them on yourself? Regardless, Ebay or Craig's list are the usual way to dispose of a car.

You indicated a master alarm, can you provide any more symptoms such as what was going on when it happened?

Bob Wilson