1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'02 Tire help needed (fast)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kirbinster, May 7, 2006.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I need to go out and get 4 new tires for my '02 Prius and have read reveiws and studied and the more I read the more confused I get. I have the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas and the only thing I know for sure is that there is no way I want another set. I have never been afraid to drive any car in the snow until driving with these tires. I don't really care (within reason) about price. I want a tire that will handle well, give good gas mileage, and hopefully have good life - I am willing to pay to get those attributes. The OEM size is 175/65 SR14 with an 84S XL load rating. Most tires in that size are only rated to 1019 pounds while these are rated to 1102 pound - is that a significant issue. I see if I go up to a 185/65 SR14 the average load rating is 1124 pounds. But, the bigger tires are all about 2 pounds heavier than the OEM - how will that impact MPG? Also the OEMs are rated at 902 revs per mile while tires like the michelen harmony in the larger size are rated at 887 revs - will that have a big impact of speedometer accuracy.

What tires have others put on their classics and how do they compare.

Thanks

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

You should at least temporarily register for the Yahoo toyota-prius group, which has been going for five years and whose members are mostly owners of '01s-'03s. See what they have in their archives or whatever, as this was one of the most heavily discussed matters overall. And after you've looked at archived stuff, if that hasn't satisfied you, simply post the question and I guarantee you'll get the most up-to-date replies. Last I was over there it was still a nice group.

Edit: (after reading john's post): yes, check that out. John's been tracking this stuff longer than anyone. And if I remember right, Michelins were the consensus favorites for replacements, but I couldn't tell you what models. Nokians, too (I bought a set of those for my '04---bigger size, of course---a few months ago). But it's too long ago to trust old model designations, anyway (maybe!).

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Check out the USER-GUIDE for the Classic model Prius. There's a permanent link on the homepage of my website.

We answered your questions/worries years ago. In fact, I put about 30,000 miles on a set of alternates before trading my Classic in for an HSD. They provided better traction, lasted longer, and actually cost less. There's even better choices available nowadays. So you have no need to be concerned. Just read the info documented in that download. (Photos are available in my album too.)

4. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I've read all those items - thanks. I am still somewhat confused. I guess I have narrowed it down between the Harmony, Hydroedge and the SP Sport A2. (all in the 185/65 R14 size)

Any strong opinions between these?

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Dunlop SP10's in the OEM size. Stock tires on the 03 Prius and they work fine in snow as well and are LRR's. Run at 42F 40R and get really good mileage and at least twice the miles as the Potenza

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ May 7 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]251193[/snapback]</div>
    Used 2 sets of SP Sport A2s (in 195/R60-R14) for the Civic for over 80K miles. Quiet to the end-of-life, grip great in dry/wet, okay in light snow, squeezed 65K miles life out of them under moderately spirited driving. I like them, although TireRack people seem to run them down in 30K miles.. Better than your Potenzas.

If you're moving up from 175/65-R14, the next best plus-zero size is 185/60-R14. OEM should be rated at 879 revs/s (going by this Tire Calculator), so 902 seems way off.