1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'03 12v battery problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kadakami03, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Kadakami03

Kadakami03 New Member

[Good afternoon.

New in this Website, with a question.

Thanks for your help.

My 03 prius 12 V battery has already died on me a couple of times (IT IS embarrasing to have your neighbors see you jump start your piece of technology: "What... forgot to plug in your Golf Cart last night!??").

I googled the battery and a Web site for a suppousedly up-graded battery comes up, for $89 includes a kit and installation instructions. Have you heard about it? Any advise? When I called Koons Toyota of Annapolis, they quoted the Battery for $130 and around 70 dollars for labor. The servicce department guy told me something about the battery being bigger capacity than the original. This is also what this website claims a bout their units..

I am sending you the link to this place in the Internet.

http://elearnaid.com/12vobaforpr2.html

Also some other site google threw at me where this situation is discussed.

http://www.artsautomotive.com/2001-2003_PriusBattery.htm

thanks for your insight, it is darely needed and greatly appreciated.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Welcome to Priuschat. Several people have used the MK battery that elearnaid offers, but none that I know of ordered it from them.

The original battery is 28 amp-hour and Toyota's upgrade is approximately 33. The Toyota price you quoted is not out of line, but $70 for labor is too much.

If you get the battery and cable adapter from elearnaid you can do the installation yourself I betcha.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, you got your answer thanks to our own tochatihu, but i thought i'd pitch in with a quick blurb.

everyone has a 12v battery in their car, and all 12v batteries die. that they make fun of your hybrid for it shows how dumb they are... :rolleyes:

4. Kadakami03

Kadakami03 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 30 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]355998[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Kiddos.

I think I will try this elernaid battery. I will keep you posted.

As for the dumb comments, I could not care more. Actually my neighbor across the street bought a Hybrid Camry after askin for a ride (which of course I more than glad to give). So is kinda fun that they laugh. I just keep taps, 'cause they may be buying one of this babies within months, I bet.

My coworkers call my car "The Golf cart". So I am use to it. I have bought to work hybrids of some of my friends (a Ford Escape -It's ok- and a HIghlander -WOW-) and I they loved them, specially the highlander got drooled over thoroughly. ;)

Please check my other post about the brake light coming on when I take a long curved turn (ie a highway entrance ramp with some lateral G's being applied-) Any thoughts?

THanks Again

5. Kadakami03

Kadakami03 New Member

OK. I did the old Triple-checking move.

Went to the dealer and ask them about the AMP output of their battery. The people in the parts dept. gave me the "Toyota customer Experience" 800 number. Called them and they say the current battery being sold for my car (03' Prius) has a CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) of 356 amps.

The one offered in the Elearnaid.com site offers 475 amp.

However, I performed the Prius battery test that this web-site suggest.
    My amperage oscilated all the time between 11.8 and 11.3 amps and when I turned on my head lights did not go under 11.1 amps.

should I wait alittle longer?

:huh:

6. Kadakami03

Kadakami03 New Member

On a call to a local battery Dealer I found that he offers a battery with 450 CCA for 99 bucks installed.

He says is the same Miata Battery offered in Internet... I will visit his shop on MOnday.

Ciao Bambini! ;)