1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'04/'05 OEM EV button won't fit '06!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by efusco, Jan 2, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was brought to my attention, on another forum, that the OEM EV button that fit the '04/'05 Prius will not fit in the spot on the '06. Apparently there are now 3 slots where there were previously 2 and they are shorter than the '04/'05.

Also, I'm still waiting to hear from some willing soul who's tried to just add a temporary pin to the ECU to test for EV functionality in the '06.

We're also waiting for more info from our EU brethren and some access to the EU repair manual and wiring diagrams to check on any other changes.

At this point I have no reason to think that there will be a problem implementing EV mode in the '06, but this is by no means a certainty. But we'll need to wait for Sigma Automotive or some other Japanese importer to get the '06 EV button before you're going to be able to implement the OEM install.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting news. Thanks doc!

3. IMHYBRID

IMHYBRID New Member

I was considering an EV for my 04 and my new 06. I was considering the coastal any thoughts?

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a good "invisible" install. Will, of course, work on the '04. We still need a guinea pig for the '06 to be sure it will work on that.

5. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Oh no!! I just ordered the OEM EV button from Sigma yesterday. My 2006 Prius should arrive next week. I was planning to install the button with the dimmer-light and everything. But now that we know the 2005 button will not physically fit into the slot of a 2006, I guess I will have to try the Coastal mod instead. I just received notification that my Coastal EV kit has shipped (ordered yesterday too), so I will let you know how it goes when both my car and EV kit arrive.

6. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got my EV button Dec. 25th. Got my car today Jan. 2nd. Anyone want to buy a new never used EV button and harness?

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Geek and Force, you might want to head on over to the Private Sales forum and post your buttons for sale. At the upcoming Chicagoland meetup I will be installing in to my '04. A few people are coming because they are considering one for themselves. I'll tell anyone serious to PM you two.

8. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if no one has confirmed that the EV mode works in the 06 yet I think I will give it a shot today weather permitting. After I give her her first fill up i'll drive her home, start hacking away and post with my results. Whish me luck.

9. Alrobot

Alrobot Junior Member

how much for the EV Button and harness. I have the Coastal mod not installed, think I might like the EV Button instead.

Al...
    [email protected]

10. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I put the Coastal module in my 2006 last week. It works fine. I can drive home from the local store via residential streets using about 3 bars on the energy display over just under a mile.

I can also verify the Coastal power outlet mod, the Coastal door lock mod, the Canadian mud flaps and the block heater also all work fine on the 2006.

- Tom

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the definative confirmation Tom, I had no doubts, but then someone said they got a CEL...which seemed very odd.

12. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anyone yet found a source for 2006 OEM EV Buttons? Sigma's ordering page makes it clear they know there are two sizes, and that you must order either a 04-05 Button, or a 06 Button - and then only offers the 04-05 on their ordering page.

I did send an email off to sigma inquireing about it - but don't expect to hear back from them till monday at the earliest.

-Ken

13. GuyLaFurie

GuyLaFurie New Member

Just double checking on the door lock mod for the 2006. On Coastal's site they aren't indicating compatibility with the lock mod on the 2006.

Thanks,
    --G

14. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Ken,

If you order the button from Sigma, make a note in the box at the bottom of the order page that the button is for a 2006. Edward has been having trouble getting the OEM buttons, but hopefully they will be coming soon. You may end up on a list...

Just be patient. :p

Jim

15. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

FYI - I installed the Coastal mod in my 2006 and it works great! :D

16. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought the 04/05 EV button before I got the car, then realized it would not fit.
    Sigma claims they can get the 06 button.

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 2006 button can be had. What we're ("we" meaning anybody wanting to do this in their 2006, and Sigma) still mising is the connector that snaps onto the back of the switch.

If anybody knows any Prius drivers or Toyota dealers in Canada, Australia or Japan, please contact me! We still need to find this one elusive part number....

18. tcrowson

tcrowson New Member

I have an 04 #6 with coastal's adapter and a 06 #8 that I am adapting soon. Why buy the push button if your going to use the cruse control to turn it on and off? You don't need a button. It only id's the car at the service department that you are running EV and Toyota does not like it. Sigma does have push switches for the 04-05 and 06 (which is larger). I moved my dash dimmer switch to the left position for easier access and that helps.

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. Because some folks don't like the delay
    2. Because some folks don't like using the CC cancel
    3. Because some folks actually WANT to display the EV mode button.

Of course not. You don't need the $50 Coastal solution either. I did mine for free with the headlight flasher while I wait for the proper factory button parts.

You should see what I've modified in my Rav4EV... and the service department doesn't bat an eye. There is nothing wrong with adding the JDM button, regardless of the big, bad rumors.

20. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

Ok, not to sound ignorant, but what is an EV Button? I just bought a Prius and this is a whole new world to me.