1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'04 Hood; Aluminum?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by RobertO, Jan 30, 2004.

1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

The post on vinyl covers got me remembering that my salesman told me the hood on the '04 is aluminum, rather than steel.

This to save weight, so he told me.

If true, great engineering but we all need to know that aluminum is softer than steel and will dent or pit more easily.

The Mecedes 190SL sport roadster had aluminum hood, doors and trunk lid to offset the 4-cylinder engine's low power.

The Audi A8 is all aluminum. Gorgeous car, V8 to boot.

Insurance companies really don't like it because aluminum repairs and replacements are spendy, many shops just don't have the tools and knowhow to work with aluminum sheet or structural components.

I think aluminum is a great material for vehicles - especially if all vehicles were aluminum, crash wise.

That said, anybody know FOR SURE if the '04 hood is aluminum?

Bob

2. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Yes, the hood is aluminum, and the rear hatch is also. Weight savings had to prompt the decisions. I like the use of aluminum since it will not rust out over time - this being a bigger issue with the hatch here in the land of ice, snow, and road salt. The hatch is a pretty complex part and there have been issues with this kind of forming in the past but new alloys and methods must have solved the problems.
    Does anybody know of any magnesium parts involved in the Prius? This is the ultimate weight saver and I'm just kind of curious if it was used and to what extent.