1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 prius --- dead !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sstk100, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sstk100

sstk100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a newbie to posting here, but have been reading for several months, when I bought my first 02 Prius last fall. It was wrecked, but I rebuilt it and it's been running fine since. I put in one of the Miata replacement battery kit's, and the 02 has not had any problems at all. (just drove it on 800 mile trip)

Also bought a 2004 Prius recently (loaded Touring, 56,000 miles, smart key, etc.), and it was wrecked in the front. I put it back together, replacing bumper, hood, radiator, inverter reservoir, fender, etc....anyway it started up fine, and I drove for about a week. Started with no problems.

It seemed like the gas mileage was lower than it should be for the 50-100 miles or so I drove it, after first getting it running, after the accident repairs. (also making me wonder if the 12V battery was weak)

Then all of sudden the doors wouldn't lock with door handle push button, or keyfob. I drove it again a couple of days, and it ran OK.
    Then when parking it last week, I shut it off...but needed to restart it to back it up a few feet, then....nothing...no dash lights or ready light, and car won't turn over or start...it's dead !

So, I figured the 12V battery was bad, and since I was going to keep the 04, I replaced the 12V, with the Optima replacement battery.
    ...but it made no difference...car is still dead...no dash lights.. except for red security light, and the slashed white key light, that seems to show no smart key?....I don't hear water pump running either.

The outside head lights, tail lights, interior lights all work. ......But no radio, display screen, etc (the drivers window is rolled down, and can't get it to work) but the doors will lock with manual door switch.

I also checked the small button setting to shut off the smart key system, but it is the on position. I also tried putting the smart key in the dash slot, and made it made no difference...it's still dead.

The smart key blinks when pushing the key fob buttons, but won't lock doors, or unlock them...the emergency red key fob button does nothing either.

So, what next !

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you check every fuse in the main relay/fuse box behind the driver's side headlight assembly, as well as the fuse box located under the instrument panel on the driver's side. Remove each fuse one at a time and test continuity using an ohmmeter. Do not rely upon visual inspection.

If you find any bad fuses, note the names of those and post.

If you are unsuccessful in finding any bad fuses, then you'll probably have to tow your car to your local Toyota dealer for assistance.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. sstk100

sstk100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the comeback Patrick. I already did the fuse checking, and did find the horn 10amp fuse blown.

But I did go back through the 12V batt system, checking all connections, and retightening everything I could find. I also put a batt charger on the fuse panel jump starting post to run a charge through the systems from the front.

Presto change-o...it now starts and runs....so somewhere there was a poor connection...not sure where.

But after getting it running...and already replacing the 12V batt, with the Optima battery....it definitely runs a bit better, and I can see the gas mileage improvement go up, more easily than before. (Also changed the Key fob battery, but it made no difference, but it will work for a long time )

Anyway this is my second Prius rebuild and just bought a 2008 to rebuild. Needs a rear quarter panel, rear axle, and rear bumper. My son will get the 04 Prius when I get it completely done. Got a couple more small things to do.

Anyway working on the Prius's have been educational...learned a lot....very different from a "normal" car.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great! How about posting some before and after photos in a new thread? I'm sure the group would like to see the original condition of the vehicles, the work that you did to repair / replace the sheet metal, and the painting process that you used.

Regarding your no-start problem, I am wondering if you have wiring harness damage that results in an intermittent connection.

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Double-check the grounding bolt from the battery to make sure there's no corrosion?