1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'04 Prius dies suddenly and often

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Spike11, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Spike11

Spike11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2004 Prius with 35,000 miles dies suddenly and when I wait a while it starts up. And a few days later it dies again.
    Caution light says P lock not working. Park on flat surface.
    What does this all mean?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It means you need to see your dealer....short version.

When is it dying? While you're in motion going down the road or when stopped? How long is "a while" that you wait to restart? How often has it happened and what have you done to have it addressed? Do you get a CEL? Does it go away after a few restarts or does it stay on?

Have you replaced the 12v battery yet (it's probably due if not). Any prior damage, repaires? Have you had all the SSCs performed and all routine maintenance? Any mods?

Any other behavioral changes, mpg drop? What about the HV battery SOC indicator...is it's behavior normal?

Has it done all this on a single tank of gas...could it be bad?

Feed us!!

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Considering the low odometer reading, if you haven't replaced the original equipment 12V auxiliary battery yet, I would suggest doing that first. It is likely that the battery is weak due to lack of vehicle use and cold winter weather. A weak battery can cause weird electrical symptoms like the parking lock warning.

4. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've seen the same message with a low 12V battery. Hopefully that's it!