1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 Prius display screen dying

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by apacheba, May 30, 2009.

1. apacheba

apacheba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota dealer quoted $5100 to replace seriously blinking multi-display on 2004 Prius ... dash ok, a/c & radio controls function but guessing status w/o display ... excuse if improper post, newbie here & this is for my sister, who cannot under any circumstance afford a 5G repair on her car, which up to now has been perfect for five years ... ANY suggestions will be valued, thank you.

2. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get a refurb at toyota for 400.00 you need to call around :)
    or check ebay...

1 person likes this.
  3. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer can get a refurbished unit from Toyota. There were reports of bad connections with the MFD on the 04/05 Prius. It could be that is your problem. Since there is a TSB out on this, call Toyota at (800) 331-4331 and see if they will pick up some of the cost (good will gesture). I know that from a recent post on POL, Toyota covered the cost of the MFD. See the posts from Susan5s at PriusOnline.com • View topic - Screen malfunction??

1 person likes this.
  5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you are really good with a soldering iron, you might be able to repair the one you have:

Prius MFD

1 person likes this.
  6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $5K is ridiculous. Go to another dealer, and as firepa wrote call Toyota USA to ask that they pay for it (they won't pay for all of it but they may well pay for some of it). The 2004 and early 2005 MFDs had a design error: one circuit board does not properly attach one connector.

1 person likes this.
  7. apacheba

apacheba New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all that replied, now more optimistic for a better outcome ... seeking more info and will post results or further questions ... again, thanks.

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  9. forrestdale

forrestdale New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm one of PriusChat's newest members, although I have lurked here on and off for a few years. I'm from the UK, where the Prius is slightly different, so you'll understand I'm therefore rather hesitant to wade in with a suggestion, but it *might* be helpful...

On the day I took delivery of my pre-owned Nov 2004 T4 Prius (60,000 miles), I was programming the radio with the car sitting stationary in IGN-ON mode (press POWER button twice, foot off brake). After about 5 minutes, the MFD started to flicker. After a few moments of panic :eek: (remember, I'd just bought it!), I switched car off and then put it in READY mode, and the screen came to life as normal. I put it down to a glitch, and waited to see if it happened again.

Two weeks later, I left the doors open and the radio playing whilst cleaning the car, and again the screen flickered and eventually died. I then couldn't start the car, and the electronic rear hatch release stopped working.

I put all the symptoms down to the 12V battery on its last legs, and after charging it, everything was fine again. The dealer tested the battery, confirmed it was "defective" and replaced it free of charge. Since then, I have had no further problems <crosses fingers>.

In summary, a flickering and/or dead MFD in IGN-ON mode *can* be a symptom of a 12V battery on its way out. Since the original poster doesn't specify what mode the car was in when the flickering happened, I thought I'd mention my problem. If nothing else, it might be of use to someone else with the exact same symptoms as mine sometime in the future!

Forrest

2 people like this.
  10. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    please folks, dont try to resolder a failing mfd if you dont have experience...it makes my job much tougher and may render your mfd junk.

we offer repair and warranty it for a year for 300 bucks plus 25 shipping.
    DISCOUNTED INSURANCE SALVAGE

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These things can kill the 12V battery and the traction battery because the car's engine will not start to charge the traction battery, from which in turn the wimpy little 12V battery is charged. If you want to sit and listen to the radio or whatever, leave the car ON ("Ready"), in Park, with the parking brake set. Then the car will start as needed to keep both batteries charged. Of course this should not be done if you are in a completely enclosed space with no outside ventilation.

12. accessmark

accessmark New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My display went dark on my 07 and I just disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Fixed. I would try this before taking it do the dealer as they will always tell you you need a new one.