1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 Prius 'Front Pipe' Exhaust question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius that has been a wonderful vehicle. Unfortunately, when I brought it in for it's 30K mile service, the advisor pointed out that I have a dent and pinprick in the tail pipe assembly. He then proceeded to quote me a price of $1,229.80 for part # 17410-21500 - Pipe Assembly. My question is, does anyone know why this assembly is so expensive? The (seemingly) equivelent 'Front Pipe' on other models is only a fraction of the cost. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

-banesong from ToyotaNation

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Offhand, that sounds like the answer to the question, "can hybrid technology lead to unexpected, insane specialized repair costs found on no other cars?" How much of a constriction (e.g., 5%? 50%?) does the dent make in the pipe? And cannot the pinhole be covered with anything that will withstand the pressure? (e.g., tiny weld)

Afraid I can't really answer your question, but I'd guess it has to do with the relative IMPORTANCE of the catalytic converter.

I'd take it to an exhaust shop (e.g., Midas) just to see what they say.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure but I think that on my Maxima part of the catalytic converter is in the "front pipe" making it a lot more expensive the just a pipe. I had a similar experience on the maxima where I thought it was a simple pipe and it ended up costing me hundreds of dollars.... But I'm sure people with more knowledge will help you out.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the prius isn't built like other cars. the "front pipe" isn't a front pipe, it's an exhaust manifold. the middle piece has twin cat's in it, which is why it's so insanely expensive. sorry to hear about that :(

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    and something to add-

check with your insurance company. that may be covered under comprehensive as "road damage" and you'd be set.

but if you were, you know, drunk and drove over a curb or something (i doubt that's the case but i'll mention it anyway) don't tell them that part... they'll tell you to take a hike.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the exhaust system is made out of stainless steel and requires special welding requirements. If it was mine I'd pull it off, take and drill a 1/4' hole opposite the dent, heat the dent till cherry red, pin punch thru the hole and lightly tap the dent out. Then tig weld a patch over that hole and weld the pin hole and get new gaskets as required and put back on. A grand and a quarter puts me in the "figure out a cheaper method mode".

7. mino54

mino54 junior member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    crap; do as FRANK HUDON says;
    just hammer the dent out, well the hole, good to go.
    $35.00 repair if you remove the pipe yourself, and have any weld shop weld it.
    ooopss TIG IT.............. so french.......

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is why they make junk yards, so you can go to one and order a used front pipe.

9. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Re: 04 Prius 'Front Pipe' Exhaust question

Junk yards are not allowed to sell used catalytic converters by federal law. In this case the front pipe is integrated with the cats.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    holy thread revival batman!!

hmm.. I don't even know if that user is on ToyotaNation any more.