1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 prius won't go over 20mph

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Verndahl, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Verndahl

Verndahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey, I'm new here and in need of advice. My sons 04 prius had been acting fine 'till he had the front pads and rotor changed plus some general servicing. When he went to get it he could only get it to go about twenty with no power. The shop (just a general auto repair shop) can't figure it out. He doesn't want to spend a lot of money on the repair but since he's just put $900 into it he'd at least like to get it running so he doesn't lose that amount of money. I'm thinking it's only going to bring $1000-1500 at the most as it is kind of in rough shape.
    Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks for your help

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    These brakes are special as they are brake by wire that coordinate with the car's regeneration of electrical power. There is a special way to bleed the brakes which may have been missed. Possibly the brakes are dragging because of an assembly mistake, but this should be obvious with heated up rotors among other things.

There are other "limp home" modes triggered by (usually) serious faults, almost all of which would cause a check engine light and have trouble codes. Best thing to do is get it diagnosed by a dealer. Then inform the $900 shop and ask them to fix it.