1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

0420 code problem after catalytic converter stolen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dani11, Jun 27, 2023.

1. Dani11

Dani11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is the story,
    My Prius 2010.
    The catalytic converter was stolen two times. When it was stolen for the first time, the repair shop replaced a new converter, problem solved. But then when it was stolen for the second time, the robber ripped off the downstream oxygen sensor too. Repair shop replaced the converter and oxygen sensor. But this time the code P0420 appeared after driving few hundred kilometers, the repair shop then replaced the oxygen sensor but then the code kept reappearing after driving few hundred kilometers. I ignored the shit for some time, and after driving like few thousand kilometers, same repair shop cleaned the catalytic converter guessing converter might have gone bad ( can a new converter go bad after driving around 2000 km ?). Same shit again, even after cleaning the converter , the code keeps reappearing after driving few hundred kilometers. Now a days, i drive it after erasing the code and sometimes it can drive really long distance and the code appears again. I erase the code and keep driving as i learned how to sustain long distance without code reappearing. Basically, if i drive slowly in the beginning and gradually increase speed after catalytic converter has gone hot enough, then the code does not come at all. Code come when i drive at high rpm already from the beginning.

Upward oxygen sensor reading ,O2S11 = 3.229 volt ( Constant).
    Downward O2S12= differs 0.1V to 0.99V.
    Are those voltage reading ok ?

Any suggestions how can I permanently get rid of of this code ? Thanks.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What kind of converter are they putting in your car Is it the Toyota Prius catalytic converter cost like $3,000 US or some aftermarket thing not made by Toyota in other words apparently in the Prius the Prius runs a very special test at certain times on the converter It floods it or does something crazy and most converters most converters in other cars like my Corolla back in the day wouldn't stand for that that would smoke the catalyst material almost immediately I would think but maybe not. So in the Prius you have to have this $3,000 converter that's capable of passing the test that the pre-nice person system runs on the converter every so often not a lot of information on this If someone could rig up firmware software to get rid of that test whatever that is this would probably end I don't think this happens in Corolla and if it does it's after some year I don't know what that would be I have an 08 and an '09 here I don't think it runs those tests and the computer system is made by ACDelco I think not by Nippon denzo or Toyota or it was farmed out to ACDelco by Toyota USA for some legal reasons or something I've been chasing this code on three different cars pretty much nothing's worked real converters real denso O2 sensors pretty much all of it nothing keeps coming back usually within a day usually within a couple hours I have a permanently connected if you want to call it that code reader that will read all p codes on the planet and I can see this code when it sets before it puts the lights on with the scanner so I know it when it's seen that condition even before it sets the light sometimes it'll be within 5 minutes of after I've cleared it The car is not running hard gets about 45 mi to the gallon no fuel issues no running issues other than the '020 no lights on.