1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04478-47070 Caliper Overhaul Kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by a_gray_prius, May 1, 2019.

1. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm overhauling the front calipers on our car and I'm not sure if the kit is for a single side or both sides. Anyone ever bought this?

It's also listed as "Cylinder Kit Front Dis"

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One kit does both sides.

3. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great. Thanks!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the way, do your calipers seem to need overhauling at all? If they're not leaking, the boots are undamaged, and they have good piston return, they may be trouble-free for years more.

My approach is to have a caliper kit on hand. When I do a brake inspection (same times I rotate tires), if I find any work to be needed, I can go ahead and do it. Usually there's none needed.

5. a_gray_prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're making a ton of noise so I figured I might as well just rebuild them since they're getting taken apart anyway to replace the pads and rotors. I'm probably getting rid of the car within 18 months, but I don't like to fool around when it comes to the brakes.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you started the job yet, to see the condition of the rotors/pads or what is causing the noise?

Sometimes if your inspection establishes that the caliper is fine, you could end up replacing only pads, or only support plates (the springy things holding the pad ears) or shims, etc., without opening the hydraulic system of the caliper at all. It's not rocket science either way, but occasionally life is kind and not every can of worms needs to be opened. :)