1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

`05 A/C problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusPage, Jul 12, 2005.

1. PriusPage

PriusPage New Member

So, 2005 pkg. 6, 8500 miles and this is (obviously) our first summer with it (in Southern California) and the A/C is no longer cooling, at all. I have tried both setting the automatic A/C to very cold or Max Cool, as well as going into the climate screen and manually turning on the A/C compressor + fan in there, but it only seems to blow warm air, even after driving for about an hour at around 60 mph (85 or so degrees outside). The sight glass is clear, but I'm not sure I see it foaming sorty after compressor shut down (I'm not even certain the compressor is turning at all). We are going to take it to the dealer this weekend, but I just thought I would check to see if anyone had any ideas for me to check before the weekend gets here.

Thanks!

2. twdusa

twdusa New Member

Set the A/C to MAX cold with the car in "READY" then open your hood and listen carefully. The electric A/C motor/compressor is on the ICE side under the hood down low in the front. It should be making SOME NOISE as the electric motor turns the compressor. I have listened to several and they are noisy. The electric A/C motor and the compressor is all one unit. It is not by any means very loud but you can definitely hear it running and pin point the unit's location from the noise. If there is NOISE, then you may have lost your OIL in the compressor. If it is NOT making any NOISE then the electric A/C motor may not be functioning. Check for a fuse for the A/C electric motor for the compressor.

Hope it is the fuse and you are up and running cool and quick!

3. JHartman

JHartman New Member

Compressor replaced Re: `05 A/C problems?

It's been a while since I've had time to check out the group, however I wanted to report that I had the compressor replaced on my '04 (one of the first ones off the boat, it now has 16,000 miles on it.) The AC was producing a terrible noise (reminded me of an airplane) although there was not a cooling problem. Toyota of Hollywood (my favorite Toyota service people in LA and trust me I've been to a few) were great and ordered a new compressor. It went in last week and everything is back to normal.

The extended warranty is starting to look like a good idea.

Jennifer in Los Angeles

4. PriusPage

PriusPage New Member

Holly....Cow!!!!! I just got the call from the dealer, $781 dollars to replace the condenser! :( The tech stated that it looked like a puncture by road debris, and that it wont be covered under warranty. As the service department has closed for the weekend, and has my car hostage :mad: I have not been able to see or be shown the damage (and in my perfunctory search there is no obvious damage) I am feeling like I am getting taken for a ride, is it really true that the condenser would be placed in a location were it could be easily punctured with no other damage to the car? Thanks for any advice.

5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yup, it has happened to at least one other person on here. The AC condenser is right behind the front grill, so it's very possible that a flying rock or some other debris damaged it and allowed the coolant to leak out.

If in doubt, the dealership shouldn't have any problem showing you the location and the damaged area. I'm not sure on Toyota's policy regarding the customer keeping damaged parts they replace, but if you're paying for a brand new one, it seems logical you could have them give you the old one to look at.

Dave

6. PriusPage

PriusPage New Member

Thanks Dave for pointing me toward some of the others who have had the same issue. Unfortunately, I was no where near as successful in convincing the dealer that it is an engineering flaw, and therefore should be covered. I'm going to have another dealer take a look at it, to see if they can do it any cheaper, as $250 for the condenser and $550 for labor seemed a little high, perhaps its not. I just feel a little miffed about the whole thing, as this car is under 4 months old, and our first Toyota, its by far the most expensive that I have ever owned, and has had to have more unscheduled maintenance (rear hatch closing issues, SE problems, now this, and it’s not like we drive it in extreme conditions or on horrid roads were this would be understandable, it’s LA freeways) in it's short life than my previous two cars combined, and I am beginning to regret my decision to purchase this car for its reliability. I’m beginning to wonder if the reason it is considered a “green†car is because I end up having to take the metro so much now that I own it ;)

Thanks again,
    Sam

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sam:

ALso keep in mind to save weight they went with an aluminum condenser, which is more prone to damage.

I've checked my 2004 Prius very carefully and I'm surprised at all the knicks and dings on the condenser just driving in Winnipeg city traffic. Something tells me if you frequently drove on a gravel road, the A/C condenser wouldn't last very long.

I've found a nice hot rod shop here that can make me a neat mesh protector that will fit over the lower and upper grille openings. I'll feel much better when that protector is on.

Jay

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusPage\";p=\"107852)</div>
    Check with your insurance agent. This type of damage is usually included in the comprehensive coverage of your auto insurance policy.

9. PriusPage

PriusPage New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"108267)</div>
    Hi Jay,

I would love to know how that ends up working for you, would you mind keeping me posted when you get it in there? I'm kind of surprised that there is a stone guard for the fog lights (which I installed), but no one has an after market protector for the condenser.

Thanks,
    Sam

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sam:

Actually the grille protector (Condenser/radiator) appears to be a common item on Class 8 trucks here, especially logging trucks. I guess most folks haven't given much thought to their car A/C condenser.

My protector won't be expensive, they quoted around $120 installed. It's made of aluminum and will use "J" hooks to hold it to the grille. It will have a matte black finish.

The only way to describe it is to point to a vehicle that comes with something like it from the factory: any 2004 or newer GMC Yukon Denali.

I don't think the Prius will be the only car with this issue. As more and more car makers become sensitive to weight issues, they will also use aluminum condensers, and we will see similar failure issues.

Jay

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    interesting...

12. TNPrius1

TNPrius1 New Member

Jay,

If possible, would you post photos of your grill protectors taken before and after the installation? These might be useful for the rest of us if we seek out similar custom products from local sources.

Thanks,

Jon

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    okey dokey

14. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Yea Jayman post them pics, this sounds like a reasonable way to prevent a costly episode, thank you in advance.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As an update on that grille protector: I stopped in at that hot rod / paint shop to see if they had it ready. As it turns out, that nasty thunderstorm two weeks ago that pounded the city with golfball hail has conspired against me.

End of August. At the earliest!

Good thing I had my car parked in the condo underground parking. They had some cars already in the shop and they got nailed good.

While parked at their lot, I took some pictures of the condenser area while the car was facing the sun. I know I have to clean the bugs off my condenser, but you'll notice the knicks and bent fins on my condenser. Check out the two big knicks on the header tube.

I'll put them in the album as those with dial-up might not appreciate 1 MB pictures.

16. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

yes Jayman..checked all this out and the condensor is right there too, this is comon in cars. When the high school starts again, I'm going to have a look at that. Many of my students are just so waiting..to have a look at this little marvel, I plan to use it in class, and at the same time also I'll check out this AC condensor and see what to do. Keep in touch, and all the best with your mily..best regards.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry folks I was only supposed to be gone 10-15 minutes, but it turned into 4 hours. I had started the photo upload and when I got back I had the dreaded "server unavailable" message.

Will try again. I'll upload the original 1 MB digital pictures, so you can zoom in and clearly see the condenser damage I already have.

Remember, my car spends 95% of its life in Winnipeg at under 70 km/h. I hate to think what happens to the Prius regularly driven on gravel roads.

18. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

Sam said:

I'm kind of surprised that there is a stone guard for the fog lights (which I installed), but no one has an after market protector for the condenser.

Sam, sorry to hear about your misfortune with the A/C condenser -- do try your auto insurance comprehensive if you can't get satisfaction from your Toyota dealer.

Where did you get the foglight stone guards? I'd be seriously interested in a pair up here in Montana.

I'll also be fabricating a set of grille guards like Jayman's.

In the winter they don't salt in Montana, they dump "sand" which goes from grain size all the way up to windshield-shattering rocks. Though the loggers are required to have mudflaps by state law, guess how many are actually in compliance?

Best regards,

Steve Z
    near Libby, Montana USA

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Still trying to upload those photos. Is it me or is the forum SLOW tonight??

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok finally uploaded some of the photos, though not at the highest resolution. Server kept dropping me. These photos range from 400-600 KB, so you really can't zoom too much to see the damage.

You will notice on the condenser header tank, there are 3 fairly noticeable pockmarks from what look like small stones. These pockmarks are fairly deep and I wonder if I will soon have a problem.

You'll also notice on the fins the stone damage. I suppose all cars suffer from this due to being so low to the ground. My 2000 GMC Sierra never had a scratch on the condenser.

Yes, I WILL clean the bugs off the fins!