1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 ABS actuator best price

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pollypocket53132, Jan 27, 2024.

1. pollypocket53132

pollypocket53132 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi my 05 might need a new ABS actuator soon. My mechanic can do it for about 800 in labor costs. Who has the best price? I know there was a recall, so I need to make sure I get the correct part numbers.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are two options, new or used... One is expensive, the other is super expensive. Because your car is almost 20 years old I'd reccomend getting a used one, preferably with a warranty. It's a bit of the roll of the dice with used and only very rarely has it been a problem.

3. pollypocket53132

pollypocket53132 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im in contact with someone who is selling an ABS out of a 78000 mile 2005. Not sure of the price yet. If anyone has installed a used one, how long did it last? My car has a brand new hybrid battery and 182K miles, was hoping to keep it for awhile

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have installed four or five of these things two of them have been brand new from the dealer bought off the internet picked up at the store for around $1,450 new they have worked flawlessly and have been in for a year maybe a little longer I would expect them to last the rest of the life of the car we will see I have a used one installed in my '09 which was a one-shot deal and has been working flawless with no lights since I installed it about a year and some months ago. I currently have four generation twos and my '07 green car as needed in actuator since I've bought it all the lights are on it breaks like an old Dodge truck when the beep is on has regular power brakes when there's no beep I have no ABS but I have regenerative braking The car stops without any problems and I drive it everyday I've changed the actuator on this green car twice to both being bad parts I'm driving currently with the second bad actuator that was never good from the minute I put it on the car there was no way to test anything on the two units that I got for no money so I'm not out anything so we'll see I'm about to get another one any day and I'll just probably keep at it like this until I get it or if something happens and I run up on a good deal which I don't expect usually now these cars are starting to hit the tow lots with most of these parts already replaced and then the next big thing happens like the battery or something and people throw up their hands in the car winds up at a towing lot then they call me to come get it I'm actually surprised this green car hasn't already had this replaced It was in such immaculate condition maybe it was a garage queen all its life I don't know. There are no best prices as far as I know no one in the world can rebuild this part or is set up to do it I have checked with remanufacturers all over the place all over the planet almost none of them are set up to do it and most places have moved on The modern brake actuator in a Corolla today is $149 refurbished from many many sources not 1500 but that's just the way it is. Apparently from what it looks like theyve engineered this car so it cannot have no brakes It's like near impossible I don't know what you'd have to do submerge the car in water be in space I'm not even sure but I've not seen a Prius so far that can't stop like pushing on the pedal and running through a stoplight is highly unlikely It could be possible if you were really that unaware of everything in the world but even then highly unlikely. Good luck on finding a used sound part It is possible It may take a few tries $800 labor is a little bit high for this here. More like about 450 It's not that big of a deal actually It's about realistically about 3 hours if you work on these cars at all.

PriusCamper likes this.