1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'05 Dashboard Top Panel Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hytec, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wish to remove the top panel of the dashboard on my '05 to locate and correct a rattle. The rattle can be quieted by pressing very lightly on the panel about 2 inches to the left of the speaker but nowhere else, leading me to assume the source of the rattle is beneath this area. The two posts discussing Gen-II dash panel removal, both excellent, only discuss removal of the lower panels and vents for access to the MSD and Stereo, but not removal of the top panel.

Is there a post, or a link to instructions for removing the top panel?

Thanks

2. hobba

hobba New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have removed that panel to quiet the same rattle. The cover is clipped into the dash. What I did was take a rag to cushion the dash and gently pry the cover off with a broad head screw driver putting the rag under the screw driver. It should pop off easily. Try working around the entire cover to loosen. My rattle was a loose cone on the back of the speaker magnet. Double sided tape helped, but I still have another rattle in the area I haven't been able to locate or fix. When complete with the repair, simply place one side of the cover in the opening and use gentle pressure on the other side of the cover to reseat it.

Hope this helped.

3. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Hobba,

If I understand your advice, no other panel needs to be removed prior to removing the top panel. That is, the top panel is independent of, and not interlocked with any other panel?