1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 flicking noise from engine at high RPM's...additional revving of engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Shooter, May 10, 2016.

1. Shooter

Shooter New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone help diagnose this problem from my description?

When I'm going up hill or any time I'm at high RPM's, a flicking (not clicking) noise starts. At first, I thought it was the AC blower motor. It's def not that though.

In addition, the engine rev's up more and just seems to be working alot harder to perform.

Going up hill, when I leave my cruise control on, the flicking noise and revving of engine is extremely noticeable.

How much will the fix be? How bad is it on the car because I continue to drive it like this?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

PS... I commute 100 miles each way for my job and my 05 prius has 255,000 miles on it. Who can help me get it to 400,000?

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Vacuum problem? plug misfire? injector?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's probably worn valves and maybe need a valve adjustment. With the miles you have on the engine, I would spend the money on another lower mileage engine than to do the valve adjustment.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you replace flicking with knocking, I'd tell you to move up to mid grade gasoline to see if it alleviates the problem. As to how long the vehicle will last in this condition is anyone's guess. I wouldn't spend a good deal of money to fix it as said above. Many things will start to fail at this age. Paying $1000 to fix this flicking noise today won't negate a front axle replacement tomorrow or what have you.