1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Prius 84,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BADollar, Mar 18, 2024.

1. BADollar

BADollar New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    looking at buying an 05 Prius with 84,000 miles.
    This is legit I am buying it from a friend, whose relative recently died,
    The car is in excellent condition, but I have questions about the hybrid battery.
    Any predictions on how long it could last due to the unusual circumstances?
    The battery is 19 years old, but only has 84,000 miles on it. How do I look at the hybrid battery? Is this something that’s going to need to be replaced sooner rather than later?
    I do plan on doing a prepurchase exam, is it possible to test the hybrid battery health? my friend is asking 5500, is that a fair price? it seems like a good deal.
    Thank you so much for any opinions or input!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You look at the hybrid battery as it lasts about 8 to 10 years I have seen them go a lot longer but they're weak and the car doesn't perform as well and the gas mileage might be a little down but it's not going to hurt anything You can drive around with the hybrid battery in full fail mode You will be ice engine running all the time at about 37 to 39 mi to the gallon and other than that that'll be it oh the other thing you'll notice is when you pounce on the gas to leave a stoplight if you do such a thing you might think the clutch is slipping because the revs will go up in the car seems to go nowhere that's because the hybrid battery is bad I do believe it has something to do with how the transmission and motors react with on one another. Soon as you fix the battery that's slipping noise and all that revving will stop immediately and when it happens again it'll be because you're hybrid battery is low on charge wore slap out again. Take the car enjoy the heck out of it If it's in mint condition or in great shape shouldn't be nothing going on maybe your CM monitor might go out The dashboard $200 fix nothing to ride home about no drama The battery the HV battery and the brake actuator those will sink most people I've gotten around all three of them without any problems on four different cars that are sitting right here so push forward and carry on nothing happened this is a boring car to own to be honest about it It is one of the least cars you will ever work on and the only reason you're working on it is because of the age and mileage that you have mileage first if you don't make the mileage then you start working by age You're at like 20 years old 19-year-old car now so that's what you're working with mileage is out the window for the most part You will love this car because you need to do nothing but drive It needs you to drive it more than anything in this world leave it sitting get rid of it get a Yaris Best advice I can give you there's not really a lot to question when it's time for a battery like your mag light You go to the Walmart and you buy some new duracells here you get online buy a Toyota factory battery have it shipped to the store take the discount install it and forget about it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dr prius cangive you a health percentage, but idk if i trust it. you should really just put the money aside for when it's needed. and there will be other large expenses as well

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe? If the car is in perfect shape that would be a good price. If it has been in a wreck or flooded, maybe not so good.
    Do they have all the service records? If so, that is a big plus - you can check for regular maintenance.

It looks like Oregon salts its roads, or it might be from a coastal community, so it needs to be inspected for rust (underneath, preferably on a lift).

See if your friend will let you have it inspected, then take it to an independent Toyota mechanic for that work. They don't usually charge much for that, and they will have a code reader that can read all the codes.

Remember, that car might be 20 years old and is at least 19. If that's the original pack it will need a new one pretty soon. The brake system may need an expensive part replaced eventually. Probably the wheel bearings aren't worn out but the struts might have leaks and some of the rubber may have started to come apart from age. If this was an old person's car the tires may be past their expiration dates and the service it received might be spotty. Doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it, just things to be aware of. Some of these cars had water leaks (from the roof flexing near the hatch hinge). Pull up the back mat and lift out the battery cover and look down in that area to see if there is any rust - or even a pool of water if it has been rained on lately.

BADollar likes this.