1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 prius battery dead salvage under 90k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sherif soliman, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Sherif soliman

Sherif soliman New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello I just bought a 2005 Prius with 90k miles from insurance auction the car was side swiped on driver side and required door and bumper, fender to be replaced the car also had the oil pan replaced the car started when I first got it but then it would cut off I got the 12v battery recharged and it worked just fine and now that everything is fixed the Hv battery light on navigation screen is on and the car doesn't say ready anymore the engine has no oil in it. I called Toyota and they said the battery is still warranty since I live in California but when they took it in they said its not covered because the car holds a salvage title an the 12v battery is dead as well. I really need some help on what I should do??

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Be prepared to dive deep into your bank account, well into four digits, to fix all of the car's problems (replace the engine due to damage caused by lack of oil, replace the traction battery, replace the 12V battery at minimum) or

2. Tow the car to the salvage yard.

It is reasonable that the vehicle manufacturer will no longer honor its warranty if the vehicle has been so severely damaged in an accident that it has a salvage title.

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try a new 12V and this maybe the cause. Remember the 12v runs the brains of the car without a good 12v weird things happen. H

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The best advice I can give you is, hang in there, be patient and work through each problem one at a time. Stick w/ it and you'll eventually get it worked out.

5. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah anything can be fixed, don't panic!

i was lucky to get the inverter pump upgrade tsb even though my car holds a salvage title

try some oil to see if it runs without seizing the engine