1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05' Prius burglarized/no forced entry

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by thatoneguy, Dec 2, 2012.

1. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys - my car was burglarized in my parking garage last night. I came down to find the doors unlocked, dirt on the driver seat, and most of my possessions missing. I know that I locked it, and what I found REALLY strange was that when I turned on the car, the radio was turned up beyond a volume I have ever used.

Are there any known devices that could turn on the car like that? Is there a way I can get the frequencies re-calibrated at the at the dealership? I'm not totally sure of what to do besides contact the insurance company.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No.

Possibly a Slim Jim tool was used to open a front door, if you don't see any obvious damage. You might see some scratches on the window molding at the top of a window.

The Prius is programmed to recognize specific fobs. You cannot get codes changed unless you buy new fobs.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's as easy to open a locked Prius as any other car, which means it's pretty easy. It has the same old-fashioned mechanical lock as almost every other car on the planet.

Tom

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently it can't be said too often: Never leave anything valuable inside any car.

JMD likes this.
  5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree don't give them a reason to break in.

6. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am curious - wouldn't the alarm go off if someone obtained forced entry to the 2005 Prius? Did it have an alarm? And if Prii are so easy to break into, how come we don't hear about break ins like this more often? :(

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If you have an aftermarket alarm, then yes. It will probably go off when the car s unlocked mechanically. Unfortunately, this does little other than to possibly alert you that a break-in is in progress---if you happen to be close enough to the car to hear the siren.....and tell that it's YOUR alarm. It's like the old days when people used radar detectors. Usually? The radar detector only serves as an information device telling you that you're about to get a ticket. There's little in the way of actual PROTECTION when you use this technology.
    The reason why you don't hear about these types of break-ins more often is probably a combination of several things..
    There's usually no reason to go in for the hi-tech approach when you want to jack something out of the inside of a car. Yeah.....a Slim-Jim can be had for less than $20....but bricks are nearly free. :)
    If you want the whole car?
    Think: TowTruck. ;)

Me?
    I usually just leave it empty and unlocked.
    No missing stuff.....No window breakage just to see whether or not there's anything interesting in my car.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In case readers have not heard, there seems to be a new method to break in to some modern cars with some electronic device that is not yet known to law enforcement. I saw some reports on this a while back, and a reminder report in the past few days.

According to surveillance videos that captured it in action, the crooks appear to be opening only the front passenger door, not the driver door nor start or steal the car itself. The local report did not include enough detail to indicate what models / model years / remote configurations are affected.

Here are some links from other news outlets about the same story:
    High-tech car thieves break into vehicles without leaving a trace
    Police admit they're 'stumped' by mystery car thefts
    Car Thieves Using New Wireless Technology To Break Into Cars

9. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw a similar report on the local news here in Philly a couple of months back. I chalked it up to something like a bigfoot sighting - there was no detail and the cops admitted that they did not know how it was being done. So is it really happening or just urban legend - I don't know if it really matters as long as it is so very easy to get into cars using a slim jim or a rock.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For everyone saying that they just used a mechanical method (slim jim etc), how did they turn the radio on?

As far as I know you cant alter the radio volume unless the Prius is at very least in accessories mode.