1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Prius OBDII connector and Actron CP9135

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gloftoe, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Gloftoe

Gloftoe New Member

Hello folks. We have an '05 Prius, and have a "Check Engine" light that is on. I plugged my OBDII code reader into the OBDII port, but get a "Link Error" whenever I try to read the codes. Anyone have any help here? I figured that all OBDII scanners were the same (and this one works in my '01 Suburban).

One thing I'm not clear about, is what "state" I should have the Prius in to make the codes read. The code reader manual states I should be in "Key On Engine Off" mode. I'm just not sure where to go here.

Sure I could just take it into the Toyota dealer, but where's the fun in that? :D Any help around? Thanks.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gloftoe @ Apr 1 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]233524[/snapback]</div>
    Try Ready Mode. Also some OBDII can not deceiver the hybrid. The ScanGage need a special set up to work because of ICE off. My ScanGage reads the DTCs, as does the CAN-View.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gloftoe @ Apr 1 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]233524[/snapback]</div>
    Try Ready Mode. Also some OBDII can not deceiver the hybrid. The ScanGage need a special set up to work because of ICE off. My ScanGage reads the DTCs, as does the CAN-View.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your Actron speak CAN?
    _H*

4. Gloftoe

Gloftoe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Apr 1 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]233679[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm. I don't know? What's "CAN"? :unsure:

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gloftoe @ Apr 1 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]233686[/snapback]</div>
    almost all new vehicles starting in 2004 have gone to the CAN protocol for information on the buss. Almost all old OBD11 code readers won't recognize the CAN as the carrier of the data. Some readers are up-gradeable but most are not. Mine isn't, and will go up for sale as CAN-view has the CAN OBD11 chip available so code readers for me are a non issue anymore.

6. c4

c4 Active Member

Small quibble- OBD-II basically standardizes the connector plug and the basic set of engine/emissions management and diagnostics that must be present on every vehicle. Although every vehicle uses the same connector, this standard also allows for a number of different access and connection protocols that can be used to obtain access to these diagnostics. Among these access methods are: J1962/ISO9141 (what most Japanese vehicles, including the Prius uses), J1850 VPW (what GM uses) and J1850 (PWM) what Ford uses, and recently also CAN (most vehicles made in the last 2 years support CAN, but it is not yet a requirement by legislation- thus the difference between the different models of Prius: the Classic had all sorts of non-emissions related info (hybrid system and battery management info) available over J1962/ISO9141 on the OBD-II, whereas on the HSD, they added the CAN and moved all the hybrid info to the CAN and all that is left that is accessible from J1962 is the emissions stuff that is required by law (ie, even on the '04 and later Prius, you should still be able to get engine codes from OBD-II using J1962).

Therefore, the real problem is that your scanner cannot read the J1962 that the Prius uses, it has nothing to do with CAN (although if your reader has CAN capability, it would have to be a recent model multi-protocol reader that should have J1962 as well).. Again, although many of the engine codes and emissions parameters are common across all vehicles, many code readers can only talk one method, so a GM specific scanner would not be able to talk to a Toyota vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Apr 3 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]234139[/snapback]</div>
    my scanner will read my Classic and is Unable to find the OBD11 engine or any other thing on the 2k4. Just say's "not found", it worked on my neighbours 2004 GM suv. and he's interested in buying it. So it'll go to him.

8. johnfnflorida

johnfnflorida New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: 05 Prius how to reset all ecu,s?

Help can you reset the ucu's by leaving the ignition on for 20 minutes without using a scan tool? My prius does not start,ignition power button stays redish orange,cannot go into d or r .Also sisplay has red car in upper left hand side of the screen ,also "problem!". I tech told me that i could try leaving the igi on for 20 minutes to start and reboot entire sysytem to and to drive the car into the the nearest dealer for a proper diagnostics check? Help please anyone ?

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi John,

You should be able to reset most DTC by disconnecting the 12V battery negative terminal for 5 minutes, then reconnect. You may find it easier to disconnect the negative cable where it bolts to the body of the car.

Good luck.