1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

05 Prius randomly not starting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by j dot, Mar 8, 2017.

1. j dot

j dot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently purchased a 05 prius. Worked fine since ive had it for the past few months. The hybrid battery was recently replaced.
    The problem im having is last week I got in the car went to start it....nothing. Jumped it worked fine all week. Yesterday went to start it... nothing again. Took the 12v battery in to have it tested, still %100. So im thinkin its the starter relay or the starter. When i put the battery back in to run a test with my obd2 reader . It worked fine again! Not sure whats goin on. Any ideas? I appreaciate your time and help.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This vehicle does NOT have a "starter" and solenoid in the conventional sense.

When you say "nothing" does that include ALL the lights, dash and dome ?

It is likely that you have either a bad battery (yes, despite the "good" test) or you have an intermittent connection at one end of the main battery cables. The negative one going to the frame has been a problem for others.

Sometimes batteries have bad connections INSIDE the battery too.

If you are going to pursue this yourself, you need a multi-meter to test voltages.

3. j dot

j dot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Copy that.

Yeah nothing at all. No lights, dash,dome, the key fab wont even work.

Sounds good I have a multimeter at work ill check it out. Thanks for your help.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check for loose connections. The 12v ground to the car body would be a good place to check

j dot likes this.
  5. j dot

j dot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good ill check it out thank you for your help.